Search form

My interview on animation in India and general with the Examiner

1 post / 0 new
My interview on animation in India and general with the Examiner

following my wall street journal piece marlene sharp of the Examiner interviewed me for her column....

AO: What do you think is the biggest misconception about overseas animation outsourcing by Western companies?

GJ: That outsourcing is a new phenomenon, and it weakens the local industry. It’s been around for decades, and it’s why more and more content has been created than what would have been otherwise possible. Outsourcing strengthens the industry by allowing it to grow at a greater rate. The western artists should never forget that they have always been primary content creators, and that position is not threatened by outsourcing, but strengthened by it.

AO: Where do you see the Indian animation industry in 5 years? In 10 years?

GJ: In 5 years I see the animation industry creating content for the indigenous market with less reliance on outsourcing. I also see licensing and merchandise coming into its own.

In 10 years I see Indian studios as stakeholders in international productions, offering creative insight and co-owning prestige productions. I see online and web content becoming more important with greater broadband penetration, and I see licensing and merchandise become a major revenue source.

the full piece can be found here

although i wouldnt go as far as considering myself a guru !