Search form

Ponyo

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ponyo

Well I managed to get out to the movies for the second time this summer and saw this movie. I knew beforehand and was told many times that this is a kids film so a sneaked into a late showing. Not so many people at this time but just enough to hear children crying for mommy during the tension moments. I had to explain to the people in line behind me that it was a traditionally animated film...what???
:D
I'll get to the point, this movie was really good. I haven't seen a 2D picture at the theater in a long time and it showed. How long has it been for you? Not only was it 2D, but everything was animated in 2D. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in this movie that was produced using any sort of CG. All the lighting, texturing, backgrounds... I could have made this movie at my house with a set of watercolors. It was excellent to see on the big screen and very encouraging!
:eek:
Nonetheless, there is definately some adult humor in this film that may even be over the heads of the adults. For the most part the movie translates and even though there are a lot of anglophiles placed in rural Japan it seems to fit. Some of the magical aspects relating to the plot are not fully explained(as in Myazaki's other films) but the story is simple and straightfoward, forgiving any boredome with a giant sized grin on my face for the story and the event. I was glad to be a part of history, even if it's not necessarily american as JL would lead us to believe.
:cool:

go see the film

Who's claiming it to be American?

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I LOVED Ponyo... very bizarre, surreal and amazing to look at... left me with a feeling that I'd just had an incredible experience but didn't exactly know why...

I LOVED Ponyo... very bizarre, surreal and amazing to look at... left me with a feeling that I'd just had an incredible experience but didn't exactly know why...

It was the same for me too. With a choice "Shorts" or "Ponyo" I am glad I picked "Ponyo".

Does anyone know why the call "Shorts"; "Shorts"?

Loved Howl's Moving Castle, I just got done re-watching it today. Can't wait to see Ponyo. There's just something about the animation in Miyazaki films that screams original.

Animation writer who loves...Animation!