Search form

Hello Fellow Artisans and Appreciators!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello Fellow Artisans and Appreciators!

Hey everyone! New industry hopeful here looking for some help! My name is Sarah McNulty. I am currently a 20-year-old student pursuing my AA degree and I have always had a deep love for animation. After much consideration and soul-searching I think I've found that I would be doing my soul a tremendous disservice if I didn't try to go for a career in animation. :)

Having been in college for a year now I've found it excessively rewarding to be able to take all of these art classes and enrich my talent. (HARD, but very rewarding.) I know I'm ready to push myself to do the work it takes to be able to call myself a professional animator someday -I want to improve my art to its utmost potential anyway, so why not apply it to a career in animation?

I've always felt I had an eye for movement and motion, and ever since I first laid my hands on Flash at age ten I knew I was in love. I am by no stretch a professional at the craft yet, and I am quite un-trained. The small amount of animation I've done so far has been completely observation-based -most of it before I really even was considered animating professionally- and I am excited to take it to the next level and gain professional training.

If you want to see my work, you can visit my DA (http://www.toraigan.deviantart.com) and my YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/Toraigan) for my amateur demo reel.

At this point I am mainly looking to gather contacts, tips, critiques, and information to guide me along the way. That said, I have learned to have some very tough skin as an artist, so if any of those tips, critiques, and info may happen to include some not-so-savory nuggets of wisdom, PLEASE throw them at me! PUMMEL me with them!

I eat critique for breakfast. And digest it of course. :)

My point being, I want to learn as much as I can from anyone I can. I want to know all the ins and outs of this industry.

At any rate, as I mentioned earlier I am almost finished with my AA degree and am looking at where to go from here. I am aware that animation jobs (and by proxy most art jobs in general) don't usually necessarily require BA degrees. However (yes, and here comes the pessimist side of me) I would like to have something solid to fall back on in case my career ever decides to fall in on me, especially with the state the economy is in right now. And I don't think that many would argue that a BA degree isn't a good precaution to take.

I do want to squeeze the most out of my degree, because as we all know companies do not hire on degree alone in the art industry. So I need to find out a few things, namely what degree paths the animation companies generally smile upon, and from which schools -specifically in Florida. (As that is where I live and out-of-state tuition fees are a big no-go for me.)

On a similar note, does anyone think that pursuing a Master's would be a worthwhile consideration, or are any classes past Bachelour level redundant in comparison to actual study in the field?

That's all for now! Sorry for all the questions, but inquiring minds must know! :D

On a similar note, does anyone think that pursuing a Master's would be a worthwhile consideration, or are any classes past Bachelour level redundant in comparison to actual study in the field?

My feelings on degrees are this:

What does a degree really mean?

Does it mean the holder can do work at a level that the studios need?
Or, does it just mean that the holder has met the academic requirements of the programme they were enrolled in?

Now, those are leading questions........I know........I know...........

There are NO common standards for animation curriculum anywhere in the world. Every school handles the matter differently. There's simply no set common agreement on how the craft should be taught, so........therefore......a paper pedigree ( what a degree is) becomes suspect ( unless one seeks to teach, that is).
A student can complete a degree programme, meet the academic standards, gain the degree, but STILL be unable to demonstrate that they can supply work at a level the studios need.

So, to that end, irrespective of schooling, if a artist can demonstrate they can do the work ( by providing professional level animation and appealing art) then their career is pretty much a given.

Therefore, in my own professional opinion, I think that emphasis on a seeking a degree is less important than fostering ability.
This depends upon the individual of course, because some folks seek the ego-stroke of holding a degree, and there are a few recruiters thatactually pay attention to degrees,............but........

If the artist in question cannot supply work that is appealing, animated well, and generally professional, then a degree is meaningless.
I have not met ANYONE in the biz for whom holding a degree made them a better talent, but I have met countless people for whom their skill in holding ( and deftly moving) a pencil meant they were triple-threat talent.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

As I said, I am aware. I just want it as a fallback -a fail proof if you will. I'm not looking for a Master's I don't think, just a BA.

Before I go any further let me make sure I have this right: you pretty much have to master all aspects of art in order to be an animator, right? Am I on the right track? Or are there specific areas I should be focusing on moreso than others?

I know I am not developed enough as an artist yet to be able to apply for an animation job right off the bat, so I have to gain experience somehow. My opinion is that since I have to become extremely well-versed in all aspects of art in order to be able to do animation anyway, why not accomplish that through a degree program? It may cost a little extra and I'll wind up having to pay off student loans for a while, but a degree is universally a good link in my safety net just in case I ever have to find another job.

Perhaps it's just that ego-stroke you've mentioned, but basically I am opting for a degree program to make myself feel more secure. :p You only get out what you put in right? Does this not apply to a (good) degree program as well?

At any rate, animation companies don't generally look for specific degrees if any, right? So as far as I can tell, labeling a degree path with 'animation', 'digital', or 'motion graphics' is pretty much just a ploy for the school to attract more money -Or are there any of these that actually do provide helpful training specific to the animation industry that other programs (ie, graphic design) don't teach? Are there any degree paths from any specific schools that markedly DON'T teach you the right material; aka, what degree paths from what schools does the animation industry generally not expect to get results from?

I know that fostering ability is more important than holding a degree -I just do not see why I can't foster my abilities while seeking a degree. :)

Before I go any further let me make sure I have this right: you pretty much have to master all aspects of art in order to be an animator, right? Am I on the right track? Or are there specific areas I should be focusing on moreso than others?

Master what you can.
Obviously drawings skills and those that tie into drawing should be a priority.

At any rate, animation companies don't generally look for specific degrees if any, right?

IMO, if a recruiter is looking at anything other than artistic ability, they are doing a disservice to the studio they are supposed to be hiring for..
I cannot think of any studio worth its salt that hires on the basis of specific degrees, or on any degrees at all. An animation degree means nothing in the industry, except to the person with the degree.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Okay, that's really good to know. I'd rather not pay out the anus for something that's close to the same quality education as some of the smaller colleges that offer BFA's around here.

So in this instance, do you think that drawing, techniques, anatomy, etc. > learning about computer art/ video programs? Because that's the overall impression I've gotten from my research: learn the fundamentals of art first, and programs are an afterthought.

Edit: I would also like any critique/ suggestions anyone might provide for my current art and animations in regards to where I should be. Thanks! :D

Hello Fellow Artisans and Appreciators

I felt the same when I first discovered this forum.
This is the only place in the world I can say as many weird pen things as I want and no one will find them nerdy. did that sentence make any sense?

hi i am kinda new here

I luv animation I might even take up drawing at college soon