Search form

The Good the Bad and the Animation...

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Good the Bad and the Animation...

:p
Nice to see some banter on these boards no matter how breif. Anyway since you were here I'll just speak my mind a little.

First off good news bad news type thing. Disney has decided to start making animation traditionally and I noticed that this weekend Jetix showed a series of Disney films including Fox and Hound, Aristocats, Robin Hood, and Atlantis. I guess my favorite of these was Robin Hood although I am liking Atlantis more and more. If you didn't see the interview with animator Marlon West discussing it then nows a good time:

http://www.awntv.com/videos/fmx-08-west

:cool:
The one thing that did dissapoint was the Tron or Tr2n preview from the Comicon. There's no link now because of course the pirated phone quality video someone made was taken down. It was less like a trailer and more like a peice of the film because usually they try to pack a lot of key action sequences into about 30 seconds to give you some idea of how they plan to save the world ect. It's hard for me to beleive that this was actually footage, but I guess Jeff Bridges WAS in it so...whala. You didn't hear it from me but the cycles now travel in arcs, veeeeery slooooowly. When one was destroyed I had no idea why, but probably the video game looked better, as is the case with Final Fantasy usually. It really DOES look like guys riding down the street on police cycles.

But, they are working on it so that is the good and the ugly; so here's the bad news, Paramount has backed out of the new Heavy Metal
animation. I don't know why as I was to upset to click on the link which I will provide for your entertainment.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/07/david-fincher.html

:mad:
Nonetheless, I haven't heard any news from the Conan or Dragonlance camps either. Sooooo, what does that mean. Thing is, they aren't really turning a profit on CG movies either so why not let the animators onto the computers now after so rudely sitting thier FAT-asses down all over the excuse of high technology...neither Beuwulf or Final Fantasy made more than was spent, and just try to find numbers for Transformers...I dare you!

Here's a character sheet submission cel I sent in for Heavy Metal.(attach):eek:

I'm drooling to see how the new SW movie will do; even tho it's rendered in that 'hypnotize kids' 3D way...it is.

Attachment 

and just try to find numbers for Transformers...I dare you!

I dare.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers06.htm

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Thanks for that information

Thanks for these numbers this site is really helpful, it looks like Transformers did better in foreign theatres than stateside. I think the leaked script was a surprise to true fans as well as the fact that it was not going to be cel animation.:rolleyes:

They managed to quadruple their total spending on a reported budget o 150M. Nonetheless have a look at some of the numbers for the Saw movies where no CG was used at all...:eek:

Not sure how the foreign gross figures in with total gross on the Mojo. Any ideas?

Not sure how the foreign gross figures in with total gross on the Mojo. Any ideas?

Figure that domestic figures are shown on fewer screens but at a higher price per ticket, while foreign numbers can come from comparatively more screens but averaging a lower ticket price.
I mean, you are talking about North America as opposed to the rest of the world.

And what's a "true fan" anyways? Does one have to pass some kind of qualification from being just a fan to become a "true fan"?? I see the term bandied about a lot in toy collector circles and it never makes sense.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Eager to get your thoughts on the recent clone wars release as the production cost figure has not been released for this film.

There are a lot of people who claim to be true fans of SW but how is it that opening night revenues were somewhere @ 5M?

George Lucas was quoted as saying he wanted to spend 2M to make this film. Although that sounds good to the uneducated in hearing some type of figure, there is no way on EARTH you could make any kind of SW film for that much unless it was a fanflic...

Whoa...!

It's possible when you own your own overseas production studio in Singapore.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."