Search form

Classical Drawing and Animation Are The Foundation

104 posts / 0 new
Last post

i think you need to look into the nature of economics, its colorless and fairly mercenary.

Well, I didn't create economics, it is. And yes, you're right, economics is colorless and fairly mercenary for those who don't understand it.

Very few people know the difference between economics and business. And very few of them have a background in creativity as very as technology. So, it's tough to try and teach all the 4 subjects together.

I clearly mentioned that the economic iterations are at play and the iterations would find their way. There's no short cut, unfortunately. And there cannot be fortune-tellers either. So please stop predicting what would happen.

I am but one thread of the iterative process, and so are you. And iterations don't happen in books and blogs, but only with players. So let's put the blog to some real use and go back to discussing my original request - sharing our learnings about an ideal curriculum for 3D animators.

In this blog, I don't see enough passion about art, not enough to be able to see things dispassionately. Unless, you can do this, it is becoming a futile exercise about designing a futuristic curriculum. Alas, people will continue to lament, and not try to design a solution.

http://www.3danimationtrainingstudio.com I still have not told my story! - Vineet Raj Kapoor

Well, I'm not an educator or anything... but i've been looking at this little back-and-forth and I wanted to participate.

I think that the American artists are looking at an orange and saying that it SHOULD be an apple... or it should take steps to BECOME an apple in the future... when it's the orange's own damn business what it should be.

Now, look, i'm no traitor. I'm an American animator. (haha... that rhymes :cool: ) But for the sake of clarity of the situation, I will be the devil's advocate.

Virtualciti said early in the discussion that India is trying to become an "animation factory". I don't think everybody caught the true significance of that. He's referring to India's animation business plan: Create a low production cost solution for the American networks to create animation content.

Reading virtialciti's posts, i'm getting the impression that they are beginning with that premise and building their business models and training techniques on that, rather than looking to the US and copying our businesses and schools. I'm sorry, but.... what's wrong with that? Just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong.

Sorry guys I was travelling.. (sorry for the unamerican spelling) I see that lot happens here every day. That's good. Weoclome cartoonchaos, and thanks for reading a lot before writing..

I am talking about only curriculum in my posts.

I wanted to discuss curriculum. But, hey curriculum is getting too emotional and has not progressed beyond a certain point. Well thanks everyone, who contributed in that discussion so far. I do hope there's some juice left in the curriculum discussion too.. but seems it would remain suspended for sometime.. till some takes the cudgel and tries to match the 2D and 3D animation skill. And I'm not even talking of USA or India style of training. I'm only focussing on 3D vs 2D training based on the various positions in the industry.

Secondly, I did have to reply to other posts about India and why it should grow in a certain manner. Well, people certainly have opinions on how india should structure it's animation curriculum. That portends, India has arrived on the animation scene enough for people to discuss it.

Irrespective of who thinks what, economics will find it's way. There are people who believe economics can be driven. Let them carry on. I believe economics is a giant and we can only ride (not drive) or use it.

Some people believe that making content for US is making content for the globe. And certain Indians would subscribe to that since they've been brought up on the same training methodologies. However, like China did in Toys, finally economics found it's way not because chinese altered their ways - but because they found enough money in it to invest in the high end and finally brought in design at the end (design means new products etc). The same economic cycle happens in every industry.

http://www.3danimationtrainingstudio.com I still have not told my story! - Vineet Raj Kapoor

Here in India there is a huge gap between what people are being taught and what they should be taught. The emphasis is purely on the animation skills but there is very little explanation about the intelligence aspects such as language of cinema, art history etc.

I believe these things are extremely important and most Indian animation trainees don't receive instruction along these lines.

Add to that there is no preemptive test to establish capability as well as aptitude.

Animation training is approached purely from a business standpoint.

I have been trying to workout out a sort of training program which can bridge the gap between what they are taught and what they should be taught.

So far looking at close to 700 hours in class over (9-12months)besides external hours after class and special lectures etc.

Pages