Search form

Would You be Interested in Workshops?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would You be Interested in Workshops?

Hello.

We've been kicking the idea around for a while and we wanted to know who would be interested in online workshops here at AWN?

These workshops would include assignments, handouts, feedback and the ability for folks to upload images and short movies and to download lectures and such.

Which ANIMATION topic would you choose?

What level of topic would you suggest?

Here are a few ideas - just to get things rolling!

A CHARACTER DESIGN WORKSHOP that explores character construction, design elements, proportion, clothing, fur, plus facial masks, and maybe some posing. (level to be determined) for a hero. villivan love interest and sidekick...and they don't have to be human!

THE EMOTION SACK - a half filled sack of flour enters the frame and has to express and transition into three different emotiions (no ...drunk is not an emotion). This exercise involves posing, thinking time, reversals and all the normal animation stuff.

THE LIFT - a character enters the frame expressing an emotion- they see a 120 lbs. box near center stage. They go over and look at the box and then proceed to antic, grab, lift, cushion the weight , antic thrust the box on a 6 ft. high shelf. they can be successful or unsuccessful.

So there you go...

Thanks for your feedback!!!

Larry L.'s picture
Larry web site http://tooninst[URL=http://tooninstitute.awn.com]itute.awn.com [/URL]blog: [U]http://www.awm.com/blogs/always-animated [/U] email: larry.lauria@gmail.com
Z
Z's picture

I love the idea. Do I need to be any good to join? Or can I suck? :p

Anyway I don't have any animation software right now...(except for my recently downloaded Personal Learning Edition of Toon Boom Digital Pro. I'd use that for this workshop, but the watermarks get in the way quite bad)

So, I'd love to be a part of the character design workshop if that's okay. :)

--Z

If I could jump into a class like this I would have to start at the very basic levels. Is there a fee for this.

I have a whole lot more questions but you are a teacher so I will wait and see what developes.

ZacharySupina, there is some very cheap software out there and some free ware as well.

Please ask more questions?

Please ask more questions?

Yes, I love to teach and love to animate and to paint!

What we offer will depend on the demand. (topics, levels, etc.) I have worked with schools and studios so I used to different levels.

We would like to offer the first one or two free and go from there.

Thanks...please more questions

Z
Z's picture

I'm quite the beginner. But I'd love to do anything. Whether it be a storyboard workshop, character design, animating humans, etc. Anyway, I don't really have any questions, as I'd like to just jump into it.....

However, I do have a question about structure. Will it be set in scheduled chatrooms where a bunch of us share drawings an animations, then, from the input we get from everyone, we go back and edit, or work on a new one?

Or will we do it this way (the way I'd rather do it personally), which is just have a sticky thread, and let people come and go, post drawings/animations with specific goal in mind? Since everyone lives with different schedules, (and lives in different time zones), this method would probably be the most comfortable.

Or perhaps, we could have assignments posted on a sticky thread, then we get each other's AIM/MSN contact...and we can IM eachother with ideas, input support, and project updates.

These are just a few ideas...and I'm not honestly sure what kind of thing you have in mind Larry...but, this could be a lot of fun.

--Z

Hi Larry,

I think this is a great idea and would love to participate. My concerns would be timezones, if the class was live and on USA time I couldn't commit being in the UK. If it was video and forum based then no problem.

I would love to get some 2D animation tutition. I haven't tried the flower sack exercise yet so that would be as good a start as any in my opinion.

Looking forward to hearing more,
Claire.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Although I replied in the Show and Tell forum I'll reply here too (seeing as how there are already replies here, it makes for a fuller discussion on my part).

I wouldn't mind participating. Even though I want to do animation, character design is also something that would be of interest to me. But primarily, animation. And even though I'd like to do 3D, 2D tuition wouldn't be wasted, because it teaches the principles that also apply to 3D.

For me, the fees are the catch. I'm limited on income, and try not to spend too much. My remaining uni grant (I finished university) will be partly used for driving lessons (they just keep getting more and more expensive...). Oh, and timezones, seeing as how I live in England, and can only get on the computer at certain times anyway, seeing as how it's not my computer, it's my brothers.

I think that character design and animation could be combined in some way. What I mean is, part of one of the workshops could be to work on a character design - and the second part could be to animate them. I suppose this idea would fall into character animation as a whole.

Get to know me more through my blog at http://kaidonni.animationblogspot.com/! :cool:

Thanks, Keep the Ideas Coming!

Thanks, please keep your comments and ideas coming...

We are tossing a couple of different format ideas.

A strong idea is to have a forum here that is a private forum that folks could access during the workshop - a forum folks would have to subscribe to...

The idea is to make it available to as many folks as possible and keep the eventual prices down if possible.

In the forum format- assignments for workshops would be given in the forum and so would video lectures, critiques, handouts and other materials.

Podcasts are also a possibility. Folks would be able to upload work, either animation or drawings.

Obviously, email updates and responses would also be part of the format.

Let me ask this question, "Should 2D software be part of the equation?"

We might be able to arrange some software on a timed basis- so that it is good for the duration of the workshop.

Thanks again for your responses.

I'm wondering how this program will be different than many of the others out there already. What differentiates this program from something like Animation Mentor, or for that matter, merely doing a Google search on "half filled flour sack" or "character design" and finding web sites that discuss these topics? If it's cost, there are tons of books out there that address these topics and plenty of sites (including this one) where one can post work for critique, so how would this program set itself apart? If it's instruction, then who is on tap to lead these classes? Is it just Larry, or are others involved too?

The topics mentioned in the first post are good starting points, but only starting points. What comes after that? The handful mentioned have a "first semester at Sheridan" feel, which is fine, but then what? If there is to be an out-of-pocket cost associated with this after the first few free classes, I'd think you'd want to have a curriculum at least sketched out before you went too far with this idea. Asking potential students what they want to learn is a great way to augment the curriculum, but designing the structure is the job of those who know what topics are important to cover and in what order - students "don't know what they don't know".

Finally, is this an "animation" course or a "2D" course? Can students work in any medium they choose, or will drawing be required? Which begs another questions - if drawing is required, is a portfolio necessary for admission, and are drawing skills taught as part of the curriculum?

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but so far I've seen a lot of "how" answers - forums, uploads, video lectures, podcasts, etc - and not a lot of "what" or "why". If I were a student, I'd want to know what I was getting for my time and money, which is exactly the advice that's given on this site every time someone asks how to select a school. Ironically, I've seen very little so far that talks about that aspect.

We Are Just Inquiring About the Possibility

Hello.

Thanks for your questions and comments DSB.

We are just inquiring about the possible interest for such workshops.

This not to meant to be a course or a program of study. We are not even going in that direction. These will probably be one off opportunities for folks to learn in specific areas.

Yes, initially, I will teach the workshops - my over 30 years expereince in animation, character design, etc. I also happen to be an award winnning teacher - made Who's Who for Teachers the last 5 years. Dan and I have been kicking around this idea for years. If it grows then sure we would look at other folks to teach.

Whether animation for specific workshops is 2D or 3D will be up to the participants and the available bandwith here at AWN.

The topics I presented are just suggestions. We could go to higher levels or more basic levels.

Again, this isn't a course of study- it's a workshop! We are not competing with AM or any other school. This will be affordable and like taking a workshop from a local art center (only we hope to have more depth and have it be fun along the way).

Thanks.

I like the idea.
I, like most of the other people expressing interst so far, am a beginner (at 36 years old and all!)

I think it would be great to be able to have a structure that entailed assignments and excersises that we could go away and do (perferably with long deadlines for beginner classes and perhaps tighter schedules for the more advanced classes to reflect what might be expected in the industry)

Set times for discussion and interative learning would be great too (being in Australia I have issues with time zones also)

It would be great to pick and choose projects/assignments/workshops perhaps on a kind of pay per view basis.

I'd love to see some really basic ideas and fundementals that can progress into more advanced method and technique.
eg:
1. basic bouncing ball/sliding brick advancing into techniques that take into account things like force, friction, magnetism and surfaces
2. drawing Average Joe Bloggs advancing into drawing Joe Bloggs with attitude
3. walking stick man advancing into stick man walking with attitude
4. sitting/standing/lifting/bending advancing into dancing/fighting/leaping/acrobatics
5. classic scene structure and camera placement advancing into dollying/tracking/panning/special effects

These are just a few ideas of the top of my head.
Does this type of learning appeal to anyone else?

Music is Animated!

Z
Z's picture

This might be complex, but, I'd like to see a beginners guide to animating 2D humans. Or would that be too hard to teach?

--Z

Thanks for your Comments

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I will be talking with the AWN folks this week!

I think it is a good idea and could be very useful. It does remind me a lot of acmeanimation.org. Unlike AM, acme is a community-based website. They provide "challenges" with reference material and also allow members to post personal projects. There are professionals and students organized into different levels of experience and skill that critique the work. They also have videos and broadcast into classrooms. Usually these videos feature professional animators speaking on a specific aspect of animation. There is a yearly fee to join, though. One good aspect of acme that you might take as inspiration is the point system -- users earn points by critiquing others' work and spend points to post their own. This way people can't take advantage of the system without also making a contribution.

Sounds to me like you're itching to teach again. Maybe you should come back to SCAD. How's next quarter sound? ;)

I think this is a great idea Larry.

A few other ideas could be:
heavy box push
Light box push
walk cycles
waiting for something, like a bus
opening a box or present
character walks

Also an intro workshop would be good too for beginners. These can be simple ball bounces, and deal with arcs, weight, squash and stretch, timing, and spacing. Of course everyone wants to jump into the character animation exercises but these begining exercises are so important to develop and hone.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I'd be interested. I'm looking for something to bridge the gap between school and low-level professional.

Great Suggestions!

Thanks for all the ideas! Some great suggestions!

I love to animate and draw and paint and teach! I had some really great teachers like Benny Washam, Chuck Jones and Ward Kimball... even got to spend a one on one afetrnoon with Tex Avery (when he reviewed my storyboards and gave me feedback).

Sounds to me like you're itching to teach again. Maybe you should come back to SCAD. How's next quarter sound?

Sorry - not going to happen anytime soon! I would help out somewhere else such as fine arts, sequential or illustration.

Besides, I love the idea of just helping folks- no grades, no politics, no agendas - just pure teaching and animation.

Thanks.

I am definitely interested!! I'm in my freshmen year at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design where I am intending on majoring in animation. I'm doing all my foundation classes now so no animation classes for me yet. These would be great to get a head start and really starting learning and developing my skills! Any chance for me to learn some animation is very much welcomed!