Search form

Hacking attempt??

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hacking attempt??

Greetings--

I've received FOUR of these messages today, at 3am, 5:01am, 9:39am, and again at 12:06pm:

"Dear abvox,

Your account on AWN Forums has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 70.86.138.114.

All the best,
AWN Forums"

Granted, I haven't visited here in a couple of years, so I can't imagine why ANYONE would try to snag my account...or maybe that's exactly why. Regardless, I sent a note to one of the mods, so hopefully it can be dealt with. It's the same IP address each time, which seems to belong to ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc. A little more research shows that the group is seemingly legit and that the situation isn't necessarily "The Planet's fault" but that of one of their users. Who knows in this day and age, anymore...?

Anyone else having this problem??

I may simply delete my account...that ought to put an end to it, right?

In the meantime, here's hoping no one tries to cause mayhem in my name...

ab

abvox's picture
abvox: Voice and Sound Design Services abVoices.com

abvox: Voice and Sound Design Services
abVoices.com

How do we know this is really you abvox and not the hacker? ;)

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

I've gotten five of these messages today, and counting. The IP address I'm getting is the same (70.86.138.114) and is in Dallas, TX, as far as I can tell. I haven't been by for at least a year, so maybe it's an attempt to log on using usernames that haven't been active for a while. I'd rather not delete my account and create a new one, but I will if the moderators think it's necessary.

same here

i haven't been by in a long time.

but i got four of these today, at

3:56:50 AM EDT
9:52:15 AM EDT
6:00:12 PM EDT
9:49:33 PM EDT

reporting the same ip address

either someone has been spending all day making repeated attempts to access various user accounts or the login monitoring bot is malfunctioning.

=:>0

"is it possible to found a party for those who are not sure they are right? that would be my party. in any event, I do not insult those who are not on my side. that is my only originality."
- albert camus

got another one

10:19:13 PM EDT

same ip num: 70.86.138.114

=:>0

"is it possible to found a party for those who are not sure they are right? that would be my party. in any event, I do not insult those who are not on my side. that is my only originality."
- albert camus

Just reporting - I am also getting these messages :(

I just received the same message:

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 70.86.138.114

Animation Dog

Admin aware of the issue

I'm aware that some members have been receiving failed login attempt messages on their accounts.

It's not a system "failure" or anything on our end. It's either:

1. Someone who is systematically choosing usernames and trying to figure out how to get in on those accounts

or

2. A bot of some type trolling our forums and trying to get in via user accounts it finds.

The reason you got a set of messages is that after 5 unsuccessful login attempts on one account, the account if frozen for 15 minutes.

At this point, we should just keep an eye on it. It's not happening to every account, otherwise my account and many accounts I know of would have received the same messages.

If the problem persists, we'll contact the ISP associated with that IP and see if they can do something.

Thanks for the notes.

Dan

Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.

Me too

I am also getting many of these messages. The IP is always the same:

Also in Dallas. I do hope that the webmaster will contact the ISP involved and track this down. I also suspect a bot, probably trying to hijack an account to spam the board or retrieve user information.

Glad to hear your on top of it Dan. Count me in for two messages with the same IP as above.

Alan

Get some "Good Advice" at http://www.decksawash.net

I just started getting these messages. The IP of the numbskull trying to hack me is 74.53.243.34

Why would anybody hack these forums? it is not like there is any valuable information in our accounts...

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

hacker attempt

just fyi...I just got the same notice. same ip address.

I got it today - twice.

74.53.243.34 :mad:

I got one of these messages as well. I hardly use this forum (as is the same with many of you) and I suspect that's why our accounts are being targeted. This thread holds some good news as well, it means that our usernames aren't being targeted... good news for people who share a single UN on several sites. In conclusion, here's the info on my attacker:

I don't know if it's legal to post anything more...

I've also gotten it twice today so far...

IP 74.53.243.34

It's things like this that make the Internets a scary place :rolleyes:

3 attempts

Same IP, got it twice. Looks like a bot because I see usernames starting with A and B being targeted.

Just thought I'd weigh in, too.

IP was 74.53.243.34

Cheers. Don't know if this matters, but my password wasn't working, either. I had to reset it.

i got 72.233.34.186