Search form

Scruffy Rasputin's Scruffy Gallery

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Scruffy Rasputin's Scruffy Gallery

Hello forum prowlers! The name's Sssargon, but call me whatever you want.
Figured I'd start a Daily Sketch thread to give me even more motivation to consistently keep drawing. I'm currently a Studio Art major in my (edit) senior year, and am hoping to go into an animation program after I graduate.
I'm not terribly good at people or animals (hell, anything that lives and moves), so you'll probably see a lot of those because I need the practice.

Please please please feel free to critique my work. Hearing critical feedback is really useful for improving, so fire away!

Also, I'm a fan of drawing strange amorphous blobs, so you may see those posted sometime. :cool:

And without further ado, a few random bits:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/face.jpg
a random swirly face thing I drew

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/oneline.jpg
all of the squiggles in the upper part of the body are one continuous line (until the tail goes behind itself and it has to cut off)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/diabetesturkey.jpg
a random sketch of what a friend calls Diabetes Turkey, the culmination of all her fears.

Scruffy Rasputin's picture
"One of the major difficulties Trillian experienced in her relationship with Zaphod was learning to distinguish between him pretending to be stupid just to get people off their guard, pretending to be stupid because he couldn't be bothered to think and wanted someone else to do it for him, pretending to be outrageously stupid to hide the fact that he actually didn't understand what was going on, and really being genuinely stupid." ~Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"One of the major difficulties Trillian experienced in her relationship with Zaphod was learning to distinguish between him pretending to be stupid just to get people off their guard, pretending to be stupid because he couldn't be bothered to think and wanted someone else to do it for him, pretending to be outrageously stupid to hide the fact that he actually didn't understand what was going on, and really being genuinely stupid." ~Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

notes? nots!

Just some sketches I did during class. Guess which class? That's write, Geopolitics. Fortunately, I'm surrounded by people whose ears, eyes, nose, headshapes etc I can look at and practice with. I think I learn more about drawing in there than anything I'm supposed to be doing.

Anywho, here's my sketches, complete with three bits of notes.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/sketch.jpg

Critiques, please?

Soo, I suck at faces. But I'm practicing!

Anywho, I decided a good way to make sure I'm constantly practicing drawing would be to take a novel-story-thing I started on last year in CW workshop and enjoyed and have started turning it into a webcomic. So, I'm starting the character designs, starting first with the face of Mor, and trying to figure out 1) how to draw those face-creatures, and two, how that particular character would look.
(edit: wow...how many times did I say 'start' just then? ;^_^)

This is the first very rough sketch of some faces/expressions.
Halp? :D

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/mor-roughexpressionssketch.jpg

Hi Rasputin,

These are a good start but I think you need to study anatomy and think about the forms you are depicting in 3D and try to construct these forms in your drawing. Have a look at Preston Blair and Andrew Loomis.

I'm from a fine art background too and I initially found this difficult to do as fine art drawing is often more focussed on surface qualities. Drawing for animation is such a different animal.

I like your monoprints, they're great fun to do and I love the happy accidents you can get with them.

Looking forward to more sketches,
Claire.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

I've photo'd got some monotypes from my class this semester!

First piece I made this semester. First piece, but third print. The first one was going well, but then I rubbed my hand in the ink, it accidentally picked up permanent marker lines, and I added an atrocious background; the second and fourth were ghost prints with an ineffective background, and this is the best of the four.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/teapot.jpg

This is a reductive piece with only red, yellow, and blue. Took the image from a photo and worked on it.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/lion.jpg

The next two are works in progress that I started tonight when I was fooling about the studio trying to figure out what sorts of things I could do with the inks.

This one didn't pick up the detail I hoped for, but it's not bad and definitely worth working on some more.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/takashiprint.jpg

This one's much less successful, plus the ink splooched on the hair. Was worth learning from though.
clicky (it didn't shrink well)

politics?

This is from a quick doodle I did all over where my notes should be from my Geopolitics class last wed night. I scanned it in to photoshop and worked with it a bit more on my tablet.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q5/ScruffyRasputin/sketches/doodle.jpg

Hey Cobster,

Thanks for the links! I'm already looking into getting Blair's book, as well as possibly Tony White's "Animation From Pencils to Pixels" and "The Animator's Survival kit" by Richard Williams...soon as I get my paycheck :D
I definitely agree that I need a lot of work on anatomy, so the second link is also useful. I also need to find out when the art department has model sessions scheduled so I can go and draw, though I'll probably also take pictures of people in motion so I can practice more than static poses.

I am really enjoying monotype this semester. It's probably taught me to work with my mistakes to improve more than any of my other art classes so far.

Like the lion and how the guy underneath has a facial features that are just indicated by the brush strokes.

Thanks Jab :)

I had a lot of fun working on the guy, because I was using only dry brushes (and the back ends of brushes) to remove the ink for my reductive. I think I'm going to do more with that method, as it is also how I got the detail in the lion, and I find it quite enjoyable, though a little tedious. Then again, it's always the tedious things I enjoy the most. Gives you more satisfaction when you're done, I feel, usually.

:D