Search form

need help finding a computer

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
need help finding a computer

Hi, I'm currently a high school senior but I'll be attending Columbia College Chicago starting in the fall and will be majoring in animation. I was wondering what kind of computer to get (preferably a laptop for more portability and convenience) and what kind of specs are recommended. I'll probably be using it all 4 years for gen-ed courses and any work that can't be done in the school's lab.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

How will you ues it realy.

TM, I get a bit woried when people think they need a laptop. They are nice indeed and the days when any desk top beet them in performance are in the past. However, if this is a perches you see as truly benifical then when your asking the School (knowlegable) contact about computers think of this too

1) The lighter laptops do tend to be a bit thin of frame shall we say.
2) Also on weight, OpticDrives. Do you need one?
3) There is a little thing called Key pitch or somthing like that. VERY important BEFORE you buy to see if your hands are comfortible. I am telling you you do not "get use to it" if the pitch is not right for you.
4) Specs? Bigger , faster , more more more!! unless you are NOT going to use it for animation.
5) The new(ish) thing. If you go to a Tablet/loptop....think laptop first and look into Vista.

Closing I speek only from my curent efforts to buy my next laptop. PC type as I have access to a Mac at work if I need one.

Good luck on the purchass, might be Quad core laptops out there by the time class starts.:rolleyes: Have a blast in school !!

To each, there own. I'll take understanding. :D

Your best bet would probably be to contact someone in the school's animation/art department and ask them what kind of computer they recommend. That way you'll know you won't have any problems once you get there.

Good luck in school.

Get a laptop with a Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB of Memory and a big hard drive.