Search form

pickle

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
pickle

To the point, help me find a good school. I live in the midwest and want to go to a college in the U.S.

Should I:
1. go to a state univ. with a small animation program
2. attend a larger art school with a larger animation program, all the while paying out the butt afterwards with school loans
3. move to California and attend a specialized school

The Real question: In the anim. industry, does it matter where I get my animation degree, or just as long as I get it?
What is a happy medium between payment and training?

Where you get your degree doesn't matter as much as what you learn while you are there, with some important exceptions. College gives you access to equipment, access to competent faculty (hopefully), and access to the industry. These are the three things to take into consideration when deciding upon which program to attend. What you learn while there is up to you.

Consider:
1. Small State colleges in the Midwest are afordable, but how will they give you access to "The Industry"? How will you get your work in front of people who can make a decision to hire you?

2. The Midwest offers some large specialized film/media programs as well. Chicago is an option. The majority of the jobs in animation are in large metropolitan areas. If you are going to get a good job, you will someday need to consider living in one of them.

3. Many states in the US have designed tax incentives packages to bring Hollywood's "runaway production" to their states. Incentives are being created to start small studios in central regions for economic development and workforce training. Small studios do not pay as well.

4. A specialized school/department in animation will show you how to manage to your objective. Animation is different than other forms of art and media production. Learn to draw, how to act, and how to make films from animation educators and professionals for the best results.

7. Draw, draw, draw, draw, draw. Why are you reading this? Start drawing.

Anybody have advice?