Search form

is animation a better vehicle for fantasy or comedy?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

Just that. Animation has the ability to showcase the most imaginative landscapes, creatures, thoughts, but personally, I think better than fantasy, is its ability make people laugh. Its a flawless vehicle for comedy. The hardest I've laughed has been with animation. What's your vote? Here's a piece of animated comedy to sway you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcdNaucpMM

BanananMan6

I think animation is perfect for comedy. Futurama, Robot Chicken. I can't watch an episode of Invader Zim without rolling of the couch. It looks great, too.

Both.

Animation can make ANY genre come to life. From pure comedy (Looney Tunes) to action (The Incredibles) to fantasy (Spirited Away) and beyond.

James :cool:

I'm a vote for "both" and "neither".

As long as there is a good story, I don't think it matters much. I think animation can handle any genre, as long as you truly utilize the medium.

Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

fantasy

Every work of animation has some aspect of fantasy, but only a small portion of those are comical.

Let me put it another way: It's easy to create the fantastic with animation. It's much more difficult to make people laugh.

The few times I do laugh at a cartoon, it's usually because of the voice work rather than the animation.

(That YouTube cartoon was terrible, by the way: plenty of fantasy, but no comedy.)

i thought the youtube film was hilarious

I think animation can work well even for conveying a tragedy, it just needs to be well thought out and produced.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

i thought the youtube film was hilarious

If this is what is deemed hilarious, I fear for the future of animation.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Clutch Cargo meets Flash. :D

I cut out after a minute or two, mostly because I get tired of the "horrific, gory injury as hysterical comedy" bit. But that's just me. The design was pretty nice, but it's not all that animated. Mostly static poses with video lips applied.

Both.

Animation can make ANY genre come to life. From pure comedy (Looney Tunes) to action (The Incredibles) to fantasy (Spirited Away) and beyond.

James :cool: