Search form

Question about Super Sculpey

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question about Super Sculpey

I have a wire frame in my model at the moment. Its the first time ive ever really used super scupley and I was wondering can i bake it in the oven with the wire frame in? And when I was also told that I shold bake it, and then if I need to do fine details, to then put them in.
Any feedback is apprecieated
Thanks
Grim

When I've used it, for building aliens for SF illustration reference for illustrations, if I used the clay anything thicker then a McCormic's salt Shaker ( spice bottle ) it cracks. What are you using for the armiture ? Copper conducts more heat, so avoid that. And I always used to use a really low oven.
Have had some success' at rebaking with more detail added. It's one of those things you have to play with. You might want to try some tests, before you invest all the time into a lot of detail in a sculpture. Also even with a wire armiture, she'll still want to droop, if I didn't get a solid foundation (balance).
I always ran a vent fan, and left the oven on afterwards with the fan running, to clear the fumes - whoah, we're cooking plastic here. And everything you cook after will taste like the model otherwise, and eewh healthwise. The FDA would turn itself inside out if it knew about this stuff. But, hee-hee, they still can't control what we put in our ovens.

, the FDA would turn themselves inside out if thet knew about this stuff and could figure out a spin to take it off the market.

Safer is to bake at about 100 celcius for half an hour or so. If its going to be final then you have to bake a bit higher. But be careful , thin bits and extremities char easily.
I use alimunium foil wrapped around hanger wire and thin gauge wire - then sculpey over it. Avoid all too thick areas, but ~ 3 or 4 cm goes alright.

I just had my first experience with sculpey a little while ago for an assignment for school. It was pretty successful. I used an aluminum wire and tin foil for my armature, and it worked fine. Depending on how you want it to stand will determine how thick your wire should be. Just make sure you establish a balance. You can buy aluminum armature wire from an art supply store for a resonable price. According to the box, baking Sculpey up to a half inch thick is okay. If it's thicker than that, you may run into cracks while baking. Also, one of the teachers here recommended opening up your conventional oven and setting your sculpture on the door and then making a foil "tent" around the sculpture while you bake it. It takes longer, but the risk of burning and cracking is lower. If you do it this way, you may need a higher temperature as well (I think it was around 200-300 degrees fahrenheit, but you'll have to double check).

And always keep a window open or something.

-moot

Sculpey Notes

Hello.

I used to give out a Maquette assignment- here are a few tips:

1.The armature should be wire- use a wire that is NOT too thick.

2. Go to Walmart or Michaels or some craft shop and buy a wood base.

3. Once the armature is ready use wood screws to attach it to the base.

4. Use PRO-POXY to cement joints of the armature. READ the directions- PRO-POXY dries in 20 minutes and it is LEAD BASED.

5. Apply the sculpey over the armature- keep ithe armature attached to the base- it will cut done on areas that flatten at the sculpey warms from your touch.

6. You can do the character in stages- do the body bake and then do the clothes and other details.

7. Create eyesockets and then form the eye area.

8. When baking cover delicate areas (hands, nose, ears, hair, etc.) with foil. DO NOT wrap the charcater in foil- rather create shields and just plave them over the areas.

9. Bake slow- when finished- LEAVE THE MAQUETTE IN THE OVEN UNTIL IS HAS COOLED COMPLETELY. This will avoid cracking- sculpy is still a bit flexible when warm and can crack if removed early.

10. If you paint the sculpey use ONE color- a light color, blue, gray, etc. Remember it is for reference! Use acryllic paints NOT ENAMMEL.

There you go.