Search form

joanne's Gallery

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
joanne's Gallery

This is my first post...i just registered just now:)
Just a self introduction. I am joanne, 16 years old. I only started to draw in june this year. I haven't had any former training so i guess my work is not too good.

i draw when i have free time and everytime i drew, my mum would say "can you draw something for me." and thats when i drew that. its a picture of a part of my house. Thats the fifth proper drawing i have ever drawn in my life.

I have a big problem...i cannot draw people. faces always look like cartoon. i am trying to find a thread here which draws people...

here's the sketch i did for my mother.

There's a lot of good literature on life sketching. Check out the Glenn Vilpu articles you can find through AWN's main site for starters. Knowing the basic principles of perspective will help both your figure and scenery drawing along. David Chelsey wrote a good one on that, please see the attachment.

Hello Joanne, welcome to the forum! :)

I like your drawing, it is good for someone who hasnt been drawing long!

There is only one way to learn to draw people really, and that is to draw them! Practice practice practice. You could draw them on the bus, or from the telvevision or from books and pictures. If your looking for a thread on drawing people, you could always start one! and if you post again there are many talented artists here who can give advice.

keep posting :)

hey joanne, welcome to the boards!... to start yourself off with anatomy i really recommend this book...
http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-All-Worth/dp/B00005VWK3/sr=1-2/qid=1158712649/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-5767581-4056915?ie=UTF8&s=books

keep drawing and keep posting :)

oh here's the pdf file for the book..i just found it, all 204 pages :)

http://basangpanaginip.blogspot.com/2006/01/figure-drawing-for-all-its-worth.html

Thanks a lot! i will definitely look at it!

more work of Andrew Loomis can be found here

http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1

Also, I forgot to recommend this book: 'Force: The Key to Capturing Life Through Drawing' . It can be found on amazon. This is the related website: [URL=http://www.drawingforce.com/]http://www.drawingforce.com/
[/URL]

:)

Hi Joanne,

welcome to the forums, Great work for no formal training. I can see thru your pic you posted you have an eye for perspective. Just remember that when drawing in perspective that things that are further away geet smaller. The links the guys have given you here are great books. We'd like to see more of your work so we hope you post more.

cartuneman:D

Hey Joanne!
Awesome eye for detail there, specially with the plants. Also good patience, drawing all those individual details is quite tough.
Ah yes and welcome to the forums.

Hi. Nicely done. The perspective is pretty good considering you haven't any training. Once you get donw the basics of two point perspective you should try drawing that same room. Best of luck.

your views are definitely a great source of encouragement. thanks! i will continue to work hard!

i did another drawing...

Nice! I like the sense of perspective. I think though, more attention to detail in the trees would be nice. and also, maybe try improving your line quality - what kind of pencil do you use?

Good work tho! more more :)

i will pay more attention to that. i use 6B. i heard that i should use 8B. but i don't seem to be able to find. I am still on the lookout. Maybe a special art shop would sell. I tried looking in the common bookstores but i don't seem to be able to find.

the kind of pencil you use is purely personal preference! some people prefer hard, some people prefer soft. 8B is the softest you can get while 8H is the hardest. so it goes 8H, 7H, 6H..blah blah....6B 7B 8B. the type of pencil used also depends on what effect you need. With a softer pencil, your linework is more likely to smudge!

Yes I think you need to find an art store for more pencils. Maybe you could even buy online!

This is my first post...i just registered just now:)
Just a self introduction. I am joanne, 16 years old. I only started to draw in june this year. I haven't had any former training so i guess my work is not too good.

i draw when i have free time and everytime i drew, my mum would say "can you draw something for me." and thats when i drew that. its a picture of a part of my house. Thats the fifth proper drawing i have ever drawn in my life.

I have a big problem...i cannot draw people. faces always look like cartoon. i am trying to find a thread here which draws people...

here's the sketch i did for my mother.

Hello.

I must admit, this is a really good drawing, I really like the way you draw and style. I assume you have done a lot of drawings before and your experience has got better. This looks like a professional piece. Have you thought of going to college to do GCSE's or A levels, Foundation studies or BTEC in art and design or media or have you thought of university.

Have you thought of going to life drawing classes to learn to draw people and this might also help you draw faces better and you could ask a friend or family if you could draw their face. Have a look in art and design books on how to draw faces and the rest of the body.
Or you could buy a mirror and draw your face. You will get better at what you do.
If you type in "how to draw faces" into a search engine, then you should get some useful pages. Try other words too.

Good luck, hope to see your work around sometime.

Joanne,

This is outstanding work for someone who's only been drawing for a few months. My suggestion would be to study perspective. You're pretty close to getting it right, and some focused attention on the theories of representing perspective correctly will push your drawings to the next level.

Keep at it - that's the most important thing.

hey! thanks for the comments! i will definitely work hard! now..its important exams for me and i would have to stop for while :( exams only end at 20 nov. though i might not be posting anything new for a long time, i hope you all will continue to give me comments when i am back!

good luck with exams!!!

Look forward to more drawings in November :D

good luck with the exams and we'll be right here waiting to see more of your art!

Cart:D

although i said that i will not be drawing for a while, my dad's bday was just a few days ago and my mother suggested that i draw a picture of his childhood house...here it is..

very nice!

Im sure your dad was very happy with his gift.

It's nicely done. :)

Wow thats Cool!

I have ten kids and not a one of them have artistic talent!! great job I'm sure your Dad loves it!

cart:D

thanks for your comments. i have given it to him:) my mother will frame it up.

joanne's Gallery

were the threads here erased before? i do not seem to be able to find my old one. anyway, 1 more last paper before the end of everything! i could not resist drawing so here's a simple one.

looks like someone fixed the thread problem for you......

But hey glad to see you back

cartuneman:D

it been a while and i have finally gone for my first drawing class! the teacher is quite experienced and has taught me many things. during the first lesson, i learnt how to use charcoal. this is life drawing. here it is!

Hey great to hear you have started drawing classes! Hope you enjoy them and keep them up.

I like this, its a nice perspective and interesting layout. Well done!