Search form

Animated Musicals?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Animated Musicals?

Whatever happend to songs in animated films such as disneys they seem to have dissapeared slightly. Also what are the most popular animated musicals, there arent many i know that much but i just wanna know if any of you knew if they were. I know Nightmare Before Christmas was but i can't seem to think of any others at the minute.

Just to warn you a lot of folks here really despise music in animation.

I am not one of them though.

I just watched Dumbo again for the first time in years and I was surprised by the songs in it. I didn't remember it having that many songs. I enjoyed it. The animated characters weren't as good as I remembered them as a kid, but the music and the story was great.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

...there arent many i know that much but i just wanna know if any of you knew if they were. I know Nightmare Before Christmas was but i can't seem to think of any others at the minute.

Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Dumbo, Fanstasia, Peter Pan, Prince of Egypt, Shrek, Shrek 2, Shark Tale, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, 101 Dalmations, Jungle Book, Aladdin, Lion King, Secret of Nim, American Tale, Land Befor Time, Rockadodle, Bambi, Anastasia, and the list goes on. And those are from not even having to think.

Personally, I love musicals. IF they are done right. There hasn't been a to many lately. They've kind of gone with songs, but not really musicals. I'm sure they'll come back sooner or later, after people get tired of pop songs in movies.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Even Disney's Johnny Appleseed, and Legend of Sleepyhollow were full of songs.

And don't forget Pinochio. "When you wish upon a star", came from that Jiminy Cricket sang it.

The older I get the more I see parallels between the so-called "Renaissance" Disney features and Broadway-style lyricism.

Which I actually think is pretty sweet. Does The Lion King need music to be told? Probably not. Does it need it to be told their way, and to that effect? Getting warmer, methinks...

I am constantly getting beat up for appreciating Aladdin. There are a lot of those movies where people like the big headliner songs that get played out but maybe they're a bit weaker when it comes to the accompanying songs, but I think Aladdin was almost a flipside. A Whole New World had less dimension than most of the other "big numbers" whereas something like Prince Ali had that sink-in melody, a couple good hooks, and while it too kinda stuck to one note it felt far more relevant and attached to the story.

Be Prepared makes me think of plays. It's not only "This is who we are" but also interrupts and replaces some of the continuity of what's going on the bridge and expand elements of what we're being told. That's worth so much to me that I don't really care if it's kind of passively silly on the 20th listen.

Tim Burton's 'Corpse Bride' was a pretty recent movie with some musical sequences.

Disney is also producing two movies, one CGI and one 2D Traditional animation, that are both musicals.

The CGI one is called "Rapunzel" (once known as: "Rapunzel Unbraided") which is directed by Glen Keane (who was one of the main animators at Disney) and coming out in 2009 and the 2D film is called "The Frog Princess" which is due to come out in 2008 which is directed by John Musker and Ron Clements (Treasure Planet, Hercules, Aladdin).

Both will be musicals and will be going back to the traditional Disney "style" of 'The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast".

James :cool:

The older I get the more I see parallels between the so-called "Renaissance" Disney features and Broadway-style lyricism.

I absolutely agree with that. "Beauty and The Beast" is pretty much an opera all the way through- even the spoken dialgue is on a tempo. However, a muscial theater approach isn't fool proof by any means... ("Hunchback" comes to mind) I think the problem is that since Disney is known for having Disney songs, songs have been shoved into movies where they're not even remotely appropriate. And that phase of "Lets have pop stars sing EVERYTHING!" is, quite simply, agony.

So although I love musicals, I'm very glad that the industry is taking a break from that format for the moment. Its just too embarrassing to watch a character break out into a contrived and souless song- reminds me of high school.

A Whole New World had less dimension than most of the other "big numbers".

I have a tradition of fast forwarding through that sequence whenever I watch Aladdin.

[SIZE=2]Have a Cup O' Jo! - [/SIZE]www.cupojo.net

Best Disney musical: The Little Mermaid.
The film is like a Broadway show in story and the musical numbers play like show tunes anyway. Probably their best synthesis of music and story of any of their films.

I just got back from Disneyland and its interesting to note just how they use their films in some of the park productions.

The current fireworks show uses tunes from films throughout the years, but notably Lion King and Little Mermaid--as its probably the best material they have. The tunes have a lot of appeal to them anyway and they age quite well.

I'd love to see more rousing/stirring musicals from Disney, as they can do things with music , story, and animation that others have consistently failed at.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Man, that new fireworks show at Dland is one of the best I've ever seen... Oh wait; that's not the topic....;)

I'd love to see more rousing/stirring musicals from Disney, as they can do things with music , story, and animation that others have consistently failed at.

Heck, I'd like to simply see some energy in the music, like "Cat's Don't Dance" (proof that you don't have to be Disney to make a fantastic animated musical). While the music isn't exactly Oscar-worthy, its bouncy and infectious, just like the old Hollywood musicals the film emulates. I can't help but be disatisfied with all the plodding, bland music to come out of the latest Disney films. ( Is every Phil Collins song the same melody with just different words peppered here and there?) I don't demand that each song be a hit- just some spirit behind the words would be nice.

[SIZE=2]Have a Cup O' Jo! - [/SIZE]www.cupojo.net

Do you think it's posibble to make a musical and take any style of music you wish to make it even if there was no consistency in the style of music. As long as the music is representing the mood, emotion and telling the story of the charatcer singing it any style of music is posibble (well unless it was like slayer or slipknot style it probably wouldnt work). Do you agree?

I think so, if the story is strong and the music fits the mood.

My favorite animated musical moment: Areal singing "Part of Your World" up on the rock with the wave breaking behind her. Great song. Great image. More please.

Favorite animated song: Opening of "The Triplet's of Bellville". Not a musical, but what a song.

Alan

Get some "Good Advice" at http://www.decksawash.net