Search form

Suggestions for storyboard books?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Suggestions for storyboard books?

Hi there,

I'm looking at a few storyboarding books, but I wondered if anyone had any recommendations... please post if you do. Thanks!

Go to a book store web site and type in Storyboarding. There are only a few titles but it is as good of a starting place as any. I found a book last year whos title is Storyboarding so it might still be on some shelf some where.

Yeah, that what I had done - I was looking to see if anyone had any specific books in mind that they knew were helpful. If not, I'll just pick one. Thanks!

I found a copy of Hitchcock's Notebooks used at a book store a few years ago. It has about 15-20 pages each of the storyboards from the crop duster scene in North By North-West and the first bird attack from The Birds.Those are very polished-- more like production boards, really. I also have a book called From Word to Image that's pretty good at outlining the process. But I get more inspiration from the DVDs that contain boards in the extras. I really like William Stout's boards on the Return of the Living Dead disc, for instance. They manage to be sketchy and precise at the same time.

There aren't very many storyboarding books. Don Bluth has one out called, " The Art of Storyboard." I haven't read the entire book, but what I've seen is pretty good. My favorite book isn't really a how too book. It's the "Wallace and Gromit Wrong Trousers Storyboard Collection." It's the complete storyboards for the whole short and is really cool to see the whole thing in storyboard form. It's hard to find, but you might be able to find it at places like Stuart Ng Books.com

Another good book is "Shot by Shot" by Steven D. Katz. It's more of a live action film book and not really about storyboarding, but it goes over staging and designing shots, as well as camera direction and cutting. All principles that are relevant to animation.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks for the tips. Right now I've found these two.

Exploring Storyboarding by Wendy Tumminello (2004) and
The Art of the Storyboard by John Hart

I didn't see any of those you guys mentioned but I will look. The Wallace and Gromit one seems particularly interesting.

EDIT: I found the W&G book which looked really cool. One was on ebay for $75 bucks and there were two used ones on Amazon - both over $150! However, one guy had a supposedly new version for $19.99! Go figure. I snapped it up so looking forward to seeing that one for sure.

Good storyboard book

While I like my current book, Storyboards: Motion In Art, 2nd Edition, the next edition, Storyboards: Motion In Art, 3rd Edition, rocks! In October of 2006 my new book comes out with 20 new chapters, new interviews, over 1,000 new art samples and now it's in full color.

No other book on storyboarding covers EVERY aspect of storyboarding like mine, including sketching, coloring, working with directors, pricing, getting started, etc.

You can find this book at Amazon.com, bookstores in major cities or online at www.YourResumeSucks.biz.

Mark Simon

Books on storyboarding

If you have ANY interest in storyboarding and story sketch art for animation, definitely find/buy/treasure a copy of John Canemaker's "Paper Dreams: the Art and Artists of Disney Storyboards" published by Hyperion. I've yet to find anything better, more comprehensive or more inspiring (in terms of the quality and variety of the artwork and sequence examples included).

For general/live action storyboarding - Marci Beglietier (Ed) "From Word to Image" is also excellent.

If you're bored and have nothing better to do - you're also welcome to check out the post I put up a while ago in response to another storyboarding query on the Animator's Desktop - presently hovering near the foot of page 2, I think.... It's a kind of outline for a fast-turnover class/group storyboarding workshop/bootcamp that I've developed with various groups of students over the last few years,

all the very best,

Fraser MacLean
Scotland

Thanks guys!