Search form

Question for Animation Mentor students

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question for Animation Mentor students

Hi there,

I'm planning to take Animation Mentor next year, and just want to make sure I'm not making a ghastly mistake by combining it with a 40-hour work week. Do people work full-time while studying with AM? How many hours a week does the coursework take?

Thanks in advance!

Well, I work full-time and also attend AnimationMentor.com. It's possible to go through the program and work on your assignments in the evenings and weekends.

Generally speaking, you'll want to devote as much time as you can to learning animation, regardless of the school. Learning to be an animator is a lifelong process. You get out of it what you put into it. Around 20 or more hours/week would be something to strive for regarding your time commitment.

AnimationMentor.com provides an excellent start into character animation because they make sure you're exposed to a wealth of concepts, principles and theories needed for bringing characters to life and telling stories. Before AM, I learned some of this stuff, but they make sure you get ALL OF IT.

- Tom ;)

----- AnimationMentor.com Graduate -----
"Learning to animate anywhere in the
world from the world's best animators."
Pixar, ILM, Disney, Dreamworks & more.
---------------------------------------------

I work full time as well and am taking AnimationMentor as well. I don't know about other people but it's pretty rough for me as I work as an animator. So it's hard to work all day animating, then go home and animate some more for another two, four, or six hours, then spend all day saturday and most of sunday animating as well. It'll be tough, and be prepared to have no life for the next year and a half. Is it worth it? Hell yeah! At least for me it is. I went to an art school for four years and have been working in the industry for over six years, and I still learned way more from the AnimationMentor classes that I did from school and work combined.

It's up to you to make a choice.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks for replying! I'm currently working in architecture at entry level (read: glorified drafting monkey) so it'd be easier to change directions while I still have my evenings and weekends :) 20-ish hours a week of coursework, hard work, no life...yep sounds about right to me. until then, will sharpen pencils, sleep in, and do lots of life drawing!!