Search form

Need help with non-paying client!!!!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Need help with non-paying client!!!!

Hello,

My two colleagues and I are shocked and dismayed at our client's recent letter stating that he isn't going to pay the difference in our now completed contract.

3 month contract (signed contract 3 copies )....for 6 fully rendered and animated scenes (3D Maya, composited in AE ).
Those scenes were rendered in HD using a lot of resources. Everything was completed on time....and he was very happy. 3 approvals before final render...approvals were given by e-mail ( all have been kept )
We received half of the total upfront before the project began which was split 3 ways amoungst my colleagues.

The problem...my client shocked us this past week by sending a letter that he was very unhappy with our work, that the animations didn't fit his film editting.....( or does he just not have the money ? )

The situation....he has all our DVD's, suspiciously changed the password on FTP and claims he is editting out our animations....( though there is no way to be sure )....we are currently out a few thousand dollars each

anyone been through this?????.....advice....legal contacts....anything would help!!!!

thanks

Mitch
www.akhuamedia.com

That sucks Akhua, I'm sorry. It sounds like you are in the right and since you have all the contracts and approvals from you client, hire a lawyer and let him loose on these jerks. Don't tell them you're hireing a lawyer, just do it and then let him deal with them. If you're lucky, you might be able to find a lawyer willing to work pro-bono.

Good luck.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

The advice given in this thread may also help: http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t=6321

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

Yep--you've been given the classic screw-over.

Contact a lawyer asap to discuss your options. You should be able to slap censures and restrictions on this "client" that stop them from using your work, and you should be able to put a lien on their property until they pay you.
Once this is done ( do it WITHOUT notifying the client at first) then notify them that you have done it and will keep these on them until they pay up.
My guess is they will pay you once they realize you are playing for keeps.

You have proof of the agreements and apporvals in your hands and that is the best evidence you can get.

Good luck.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)