Search form

improving posing and composition

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
improving posing and composition

I've noticed that artists sometimes use poses that are very 'out there' in order to add to the flashyness of something. Some situations are pretty departed from what would happen in reality, but that may be the reason why they attract the eye. http://hometown.aol.com/kuest144/images/gorilyas.jpg
In this example, I think in a way it looks good, but it also seems unclear what is happening with the man posed sideways, and maybe a little goofy when you think about it. Another thing it brings to mind is, think about how heroes are often posed, they'll be flying or leaping in a position that rarely would be natural in real life. I'm wondering if people think this is more of a novelty. How should it be used and how often in animation or illustrations?

Personally, I enjoy drawing action poses of that type, I think they have a lot of energy. It is hard to do in animation because they are more extreme and are not necessarily needed. As long as you can connect the motion to the picture, go for it.

As for your picture, I think the man is twisting and leaping backwards at the same time. I like it!

I think he's pulling that move from the new outcast video.
If you look at some of the stuff Jackie Chan can pull off, with a little bit of exaduration you can get pretty out there and still maintain some believability. With that said, if you animated some snowboarding or skateboarding scenes exactly the same as the live action footage I'm sure some people would think the moves look impossible.
Stretching reality also makes it more fun to draw.

I think how often you use this depends on the character, style and story that your working with.

Alot of the far-fetched motions are made that way to better show the motion or reaction. It's also used for a "cool pose" factor sometimes, and is of course purely there by the artist's discretion. For example, If there was a scene where the animator wanted to show a chaotic moment, a character thrown off a cliff might be drawn flailing madly to emphasize the feeling of panic, when in reality such a fall might not happen in such a way

Those are some helpfull perspectives.
I thought it was interesting that the image showed the character, almost as if he is running away at top speed, hence the extreme tilt. But he's not exactly, he's kicking kicking the creature. Also the ground plays along by not having a clear direction of gravity.

bump.......

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."