Search form

So you want to be an Animator? Here's what to expect.

417 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thank you

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and give me advice, i really appreciate it. I will look up the tools on the forum and see if I can find them and get started. Right now my boyfriend downloaded awhole bunch of how to draw books and expects me to draw every single exercise in them. I started on this like a month ago and it has been VERY hard trying not to be negative about the work im seeing in these books. :( I know i have a LONG way to go to catch up to artist like you, but im sure if I do all the exercises over and over I can start becoming better and better. :)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and give me advice, i really appreciate it. I will look up the tools on the forum and see if I can find them and get started. Right now my boyfriend downloaded awhole bunch of how to draw books and expects me to draw every single exercise in them. I started on this like a month ago and it has been VERY hard trying not to be negative about the work im seeing in these books. :( I know i have a LONG way to go to catch up to artist like you, but im sure if I do all the exercises over and over I can start becoming better and better. :)

The books are well-intentioned and all.......but do you like drawing that stuff?
Does it feel like progress??

No?

I didn't think so. :rolleyes:
There's a way to lead your brain in this: keep drawing what you like to draw.
reason being is you'll more likely do something "successful" and thus stay engaged with it.
That's the key here. You want to set it up so you KEEP moving forward.
As you do these drawings, then add to what you are doing. tackle what you are weak at and add that to the image.
Good at drawing people? Keep drawing them.
Lousy at drawing animals or building? Draw the people and add something simple in, like an animal at their feet, or a part of a building façade in the background. This way you have a part of the drawing that you at least know is going to work, and you can tackle things that might be otherwise intimidating on their own.
That builds confidence and THAT promotes artistic growth.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Please help!!!

Hello all. we'll have to leave my love of animation for another conversation, for right now, i am in a dire situation.

I am taking a college course in Communications and am in need of an interview with an established animator by Monday, July 16th. When i say established, i mean that has done any work in any animation project that i can trace. whether your name be in the credits or you created it entirely on your own.
I prefer the interview be conducted over the phone, but e-mail is very much an option.

i doubt that my professor will call to check up on my source if that is a problem for you.

PLEASE. i am in desperate need of this grade.
Thank you for reading

Short Video On Animation

I found this short clip that has a animator talking about the step to becoming an animator. This is some you might wont to show to kids if they have questions about animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL9E7PJlkjw&list=PL94269DA08231042B&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Animation Scriptwriting

What does it take for someone to get into animation as well as scriptwriting for animation? Is it just as hard or will I need just as much luck? Are scriptwriters in demand at the moment?

Animation

I was wondering if its possible for someone with no animating experience(so far) to be an animator? I am currently unemployed and have been for over 2 years now and I can not afford college. I have always been intrested in becoming an animator and I have been drawing since I was younger (im 21 now). Is it even possible for me to catch up and become an animator? I REALLY want to help make movies (cartoon and realistic). The only problem is that I don't draw as much as I should. I also tried going to fscj and i failed 2 classes and now financial aid wont support me and Ive had no choice but to defer my payments, which are now up to $7,000. I have not had ANY luck whatsoever getting a job, and EVERYDAY I apply for jobs and call and still no luck. I'm thinking of giving up, any suggestions? I dont think theres a way to catch up with everyone because I dont have any animation programs or adobe and I can't find any free animation programs either. :confused:

I was wondering if its possible for someone with no animating experience(so far) to be an animator?

Its always possible. The key is to start now, and do it. And to keep doing it until you gain ability to do it professionally.

I am currently unemployed and have been for over 2 years now and I can not afford college. I have always been intrested in becoming an animator and I have been drawing since I was younger (im 21 now).
Is it even possible for me to catch up and become an animator? I REALLY want to help make movies (cartoon and realistic).

There is no age threshold here.
21 years old is very much still just getting started. I have seen people twice your age start this adventure and succeed at it.

The only problem is that I don't draw as much as I should.

Well, here's the thing: if you want to be a 2d animator, you need to draw.
It's a must.
If you want to be a 3D animator, I'd say that drawing is an asset, but your ability to move the rigs and create proper motion ( and /or emotion) would be enough.
Look, drawing helps no matter which path you take. Its an easy gauge of talent, and its useful to have in your career at minimum.
If you are NOT serious about drawing at this point, then you are not serious about this as a career choice. I know that puts a lot of stress onto your shoulders, but let's not dance around this.

If you are not drawing at lot, if you are not drawing at a near-professional level right now.....then you will encounter a LOT of obstacles in getting a career in animation. Its like wanting to be a race car driver and not driving all that much.

I also tried going to fscj and i failed 2 classes and now financial aid wont support me and Ive had no choice but to defer my payments, which are now up to $7,000. I have not had ANY luck whatsoever getting a job, and EVERYDAY I apply for jobs and call and still no luck. I'm thinking of giving up, any suggestions?

If you give up, then it all stops.

That is obvious, you don't need someone to tell you. What you probably want to hear from someone is that if you keep going its attainable, and with less pain and hassle than you fear.

I'm not going to tell you that.

That is because its entirely up to you.
Your success or failure will come from you ability to focus and persevere.

Here's some advice: understand that your past doesn't equal your future.
What you've failed at before, what your current situation is......all that can change. Doing nothing will not improve things, might make things worse......but giving up and trying something else MIGHT make things better. So will keeping at this goal. As long as you move forward, in ANY WAY, you start improving your odds and options.

I dont think theres a way to catch up with everyone because I dont have any animation programs or adobe and I can't find any free animation programs either. :confused:

If you don't think you can catch up, you are absolutely correct.

If you think that you can do this, and succeed at it, you are, again, absolutely correct.

Yeah, both are true. It comes down to your beliefs here.
What is your situation, your REAL situation? What is the reality?

You have a goal in mind, but you "cannot find any tools"?
Honest truth; the tools are out there, and they can be had for free.
Find out what the tools are..... ( they are talked about here in the AWN forums, look up the past threads) and they are to be found via a search engine. Then.........shhhhhh..........if they are something you have to pay for......find it on Bit Torrent. There is software you don't have to pay for( MAYA PLE-Personal Learning Edition etc, for example) and there's tutorials for these too. Preston Blair's Walter Foster book on animation can be had off of Amazon.com for less than $2 used( plus $4 shipping)--and its the foundation of animation instruction.

Trust me, the info is out there, and just keystrokes/mouse-clicks away.

But you have to find it, learn it/use it.
It will take time, it will be "painful", it will have hassles, there WILL be frustrations.
If that does not deter you, then you have climbed the first rung of a tall ladder.
Good luck.

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Never too old

Not to worry Im 54 yrs old and yes ive been doing all phacets of art/animation/ music compositions since the age of 4 yrs old literaly. Im at nears end of my life due to health But this is  me and only me alone, You take everything and go go go with it and dont reflect back because youle find yourself at an old age trying to fit in shoe's that no longer fit . There is no such thing though as never too old to begin anything !!

the real affect of an

the real affect of an animator for me is editing skills.

Inwhich I already have.since I am using basic editing skills and etc.

I beleieve to become an animator is have a motive of what movie you want to make.

make sure that motive is good enough for people to get interested in.

My motive is my movie. But I beleieve to have that motive you must be prepared for new challenges along the way.

That motive is your goal!! That motive must be good enough for creation.

do anything you want to to do and you can do it!!!

anything can come true if you believe.

Questions from a beginner

I'm completly new to this animation world and I just have several questions as to what exactly that I'm facing going into it.  I have been doing art since elementary school and have always just been naturally good at. Im in highschool now and in several advanced art courses  and although I'm good I'm not yet professionally good. However I heard you have to be awesome to really get anywhere in this career field.

1. My qeustion is how good? What do you have to be able to do in order to be considered "awesome"?

2. What is the pay like for starters compared to the best. I've heard so many horror stories, but the worst had to be having to work in sweatshop like conditions on little pay despite the skill.

3. Are jobs really that unstable to where you'll be job hopping a lot?

4. If I start now in highschool with internships and things will that be considered as experience for later on in life?

advice

I came across this thread as I was just doing a quick google search about the life of animators and what happens after the "big break", and I always end up on forums where its mostly about "how to get in"...

So I figured, I might as well contribute a little here and add my two cents:

Ive been an animator now for about 8 years, mostly for kids TV, and Ive been fortunate enough to have had a semi-successful career. I say semi because I never ended up at places like Disney, Dreamworks, or the others. I do have good work though done on some popular kids channels, and continue to have steady work coming in.

If I can give any advice to anyone who wants to do animation for a career, is to completely ignore all those behind the scene promos that show how studio life is like. Yes you will have a laugh here and there, and there will be the occassional fun moment your director/supervisor will be acting out the character for you while you all sit and sketch ideas. The reality however is very different.

You will be sitting on your desk alot. I mean alot alot...

Theres very little room for excuses, being late, lazy, or making mistakes that keep costing the team time. You need to be dependable, organised, serious about your work, and professional. Yeah from the outside everyones casual and dressed in shorts (during the summer at least), but dont let that fool you. It is still a job that is taken seriously, and professionalism is important. Its a wierd type of professionalism. you wont be all serious like in a law firm, but dont expect it to be like just hanging out with your buddies.

Another thing that I would advise is to practice hard, and never stop practicing.

Even after my 8 years of work, I still feel just as insecure about my skill level, and my ability to get what I want out of my performances. I always keep finding new things to explore. It might not be animation specific, it could be character design, drawing, rigging, whatever...Just dont stop learning...And keep learning, until you become so good, that you can start to be fast...because in my experience, the guys who did the work in a clean and professional manner, but were able to get things done in good time were always finding work...

And last bit of advice, keep your passion..

Like in all industries, there are good people, and bad people. You will meet people who will motivate you, push you, sometimes beyond your comfort level, but you will thank them for it later. On the other hand, you will also eventually meet bitter people, those who have had a sour experience somewhere in their careers, and start to infect others with their same views and mentalities. Dont let them get to you, and keep your passion. I know you think right now if your starting out that it can never happen, and nobody can do that to you, but trust me it can, and Ive seen it happen to others, and to myself as well. Luckily I quickly withdrew myself from the company/environment where that was happening, and had eventually managed to regain that passion which I had briefly lost due to a bad experience.

Anyways, long ramble, but I hope someone out there would find it useful somehow

BB

ps. I know Im not adding anything to the "how to get in" discussion, but I think its equally important to know this stuff for when you first do get in. 

hi there everyone.! well, i

hi there everyone.! well, i've just completed my high school.

since chilhood i've always dreamt of being an animator.

now its my time to be the one. but i am facing hell lotta problems. i live in india.i am from very small town. there is no animation schoolm,colleges etc.thats not the problem. i am ready to go far.. but not out of country. my parents are not allowing me to get into this field they say "your future isnt secure in this field,you aint go get good salary" i dont know how to convince them.?? :'( :'(

So, my ques is how much salary can an animator get.? is there any high scope.? see i to agree with the above comments posted by my mates. but i am just asking .. :P and what about good jobs. in this field..?

The most important how am i going to decide that this college is the best.? yeah one thing i forgot to mention.. i want to graduate in this field so which degree i should go after?  i am what syllabus is the best.. see,till yet i've decided to go after Bachleor in sci. in multimedia and animation. ? is this good enough.?

please do give me some tips and some guidlines.

reply ASAP

What is a social life?

I'm always hearing that your social life will be limited and your best friend will be your cat. I'm already best friends with my computer... But I have plenty of room for a cat ^^

Talent Flush - Good Option for Animators

If animation is your passion and you are a good animator then you can take an action to get entry in the industry. Just upload your animated videos/pictures on TalentFlush.com that will surely notice your skill and show it with millions of people. Animators can get awesome opportunities with the help of the platform (TF), this is the source to connect your talent with your animated field.

!!

<p>!!</p>

I don't have a ton of

I don't have a ton of experience in this field, but I would assume that it's pretty competitive, especially to get good positions with well known studios (obviously though haha). 

Make sure to keep a growing portfolio of your best work to show to potential employers and colleges!

Good luck!

Earn Per View For Your Animated Short Films! http://animationcreationz.com/

Pages