Search form

Art and Animation Schools

583 posts / 0 new
Last post

Virtualciti,

Dude, I'm not a book burner! Books can be great sources for information. That said, should someone pay top dollar or should a government give money, grants, etc. to schools whose primary sources have been books - it could be in the unethical area.

If your 14 year can obtain info out of a book alone, do they need to pay a school or go to a school.

Thanks

Let me put it this way. Books are the best sources of knowledge and information. They are more unbiased in their views like you and me (read the comments above and below this). Surely, there are people who cannot learn from books, like you mentioned, though they are not book burners, but they surely must be taught. People who read well and are driven need not be taught since they learn.

Finally, please don't distort my views to make them seem as if unlearned people are teaching, and the belief that possession of knowledge is a regional issue is far fetched. Learning is and will always be independent of Teaching. When I have to learn about Christianity I would prefer to read Bible than meet a Preacher.

Please don't form prejudices about Indian Government investing in Private Animation Schools. Most of them would be unfunded and have to pay their rent as well as their taxes from the fees.

You're very correct about the 14 year old. He's right in chasing his dreams in his own ways, and not prejudicing his views by visiting forums which speak otherwise. I learnt my chess through books and he too followed that approach and plays in school nationals, Lucky for me (since I've not prompted him to adopt this approach), he believes in books and doesn't feel the need to go to a school. Gandhi didn't send his sons to school for the same reason.

http://www.3danimationtrainingstudio.com

I still have not told my story! - Vineet Raj Kapoor

Hello again

I agree with just about everything you write.

Keep in mind, writers have opinions, too.

Richard Williams has a very definite approach to his writing and his animation.

For instance, he doesn't like animators listrening to music while thery work - a hold over from Milt Kahl's opinions. He like to animate "staggers" to me it seems confining, I animate straight a head and shoot the stagger. I know someone else (you mentioned in your post) who doesn't agree with the way Richard's X sheets are done - so they have their students "correct" them.

Opinions are everywhere! That's okay.

It is thought provoking to have this discourse - I sure it will assist some folks out there.

Thanks.

For instance, he doesn't like animators listrening to music while thery work - a hold over from Milt Kahl's opinions. He like to animate "staggers" to me it seems confining, I animate straight a head and shoot the stagger. I know someone else (you mentioned in your post) who doesn't agree with the way Richard's X sheets are done - so they have their students "correct" them.

It is thought provoking to have this discourse - I sure it will assist some folks out there.

Thanks.

It all sounds to me like there is not one right way to get the work done.

One of the perks

I consider listening to music one of the perks of doing animation!:D

I consider listening to music one of the perks of doing animation!:D

Haha!

Sure Music is one of the major points of disagreement between animators even here. So the world is round anyway!

It all sounds to me like there is not one right way to get the work done.

Exactly true of creative arts. It is not like science where there is usually one correct answer. So obviously sometimes this leads to emotions when someone makes a statement that looks like an answer :-)

Anyone familiar with RIT's 3d and 2d program

My daughter just got admitted to the MFA program at Rochester Institute of Technology. She even got a 9K scholarship plus some other possible scholarships. However, I don't usually see RIT mentioned in forums. Anyone familar with their program and/or current faculty?

Huh? Don't know anyone there.

Hello. I checked the RIT faculty page for film and animation. Did NOT find anyone I know.

There are several folks who work there that are RIT grads - that can be good and bad. It could be a small gene pool kind of thing.

Check with them on who has real "industry experience" and recent industry experience.

I teach but I still animate, direct and make films.

Do some research - google the faculty.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I agree writers have an opinion too. However, my point was only that since their opinion is going to be discussed threadbare they would tend to be more careful. Anyway, the entire point of this discussion was that it generates some ideas for new entrants. And also for people not to stop on their plans with a country based on a few mis-hits. We all understand that conceit is not an acceptable trait anywhere. Only concern is that it cannot be an excuse for country bashing or regionlizing an issue.

The bit about the music is something I've actually found to be true for me. However, that's only animating. When I'm cleaning, inbetweening, tweaking and plussing material I can listen to all manners of things - preferably music or audio books.

Actually for me it seems that it boils down to the fact that music interferes with anything which involves decision making. Anything that uses your skills (or drudgery work) can bear music and even be relaxing.

To Larry L or anyone else

Do you know about the MFA program at either School of Visual Arts and/or UCLA?Do you know anything about their faculty?

taxguy

Hello Taxguy!

My sense of those schools is I don't know who is there. I have to do some research. SVA, or UCLA can be up or down depending on who is there. I have heard differing opinions at different times.

Thanks.

Are there any schools that have animation, but are normal colleges too? When I say normal I mean colleges that are not just an art school or a film school, like I know that Northeastern and Depaul do.

Jndonatti asks,"Are there any schools that have animation, but are normal colleges too? When I say normal I mean colleges that are not just an art school or a film school, like I know that Northeastern and Depaul do. "

Answer: Yes there are. Here is a list in no specific order

* Rochester Institute of Technology
* UCLA
* USC
* Drexel University
* San Josa State University
* University of Central Florida
* Brigham Young University.

Good List and...

Good list and...

From I hear and what I know, I would rank BYU as the best of that lot...

However......

I don't know if BYU is the best of the lot,but you will have to put up with a LOT of rules at BYU that you may not like. Check out their rules before you apply.

So many animation schools here.
But I don't know which one to choose,and what characters should I take into account?:confused:

An Article about SCAD
Music and Animating

I love to listen to music while I animate - except when doing dialog or actually animating to music.

My favorites are CSNY, Dave Matthews Band and Riverdance... and Kaki King

I have Pandora on while I work so I have lots of variety...

Thanks.

Another one, THE ANIMATION WORKSHOP (Denmark)

http://www.animwork.dk/en/

The Animation Workshop
Kasernevej 5
8800 Viborg
Denmark

Phone/Tel.: +45 8755 4900
Fax: +45 8755 4901
General inquiries: info@animwork.dk

Office hours
Monday - Thursday: 8.30 - 4 p.m.
Friday: 8.30 - 3 p.m.

HC

HoBSoft Automated animation workflow for feature and tv-series

What do you guys know/think about Animation Mentor? http://www.animationmentor.com/ What I've seen looks great, but I guess you might say I'm pretty naive about this stuff, since I have very little experience. Ok, so I have no experience. ;)

They have a top rated reputation.

Supinfocom (France)

Another one

Supinfocom
http://www.supinfocom.fr

VALENCIENNES(France)
10 avenue Henri Matisse
59300 Aulnoy lez Valenciennes
Tél. : +33 (0) 3 27 51 33 00
Email : supinfocom@grandhainaut.cci.fr

ARLES(France)
2 rue Yvan Audouard - CS 60004
13637 Arles Cedex
Tél. : +33 (0) 4 90 99 46 90
Email : contact@supinfocom-arles.fr

PUNE (Inde)
DSK Supinfocom International Campus
Survey 54/55, Tarwadi, Pune-Solapur road
Pune – 412308 – Maharasthra, India
Tél. : +91 (20) 66784310
Email : info@dsksic.com
Site : www.dsksic.com

HC

HoBSoft Automated animation workflow for feature and tv-series

Is it possible to update

Is it possible to update Gnomon's website on this list? It should be: http://www.gnomonschool.com

Hi Friends...!

Hi Friends how are you...?

Very nice post. very informative.

I just wanted to note a

I just wanted to note a missing online college that I'm involved with since nobody has mentioned it yet, but Sessions College for Professional Design has some great programs for web design, graphic design, digital arts, and stuff like that. You can take a class or two or transfer to Excelsior College for a full Bachelor's.

They're over at http://www.sessions.edu/ . Anyone here attend?

Feature Animation Training at the Academy of Art

Looks like the Academy of Art posted some information about their advanced animation courses.  I think these used to be called Pixar classes.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Feature-Animation-Training/249233981936765

2D Animation

Sometimes referred to as 2D, 2D animation of animation that uses computer generated images to create animated scenes

I'm about to put a bunch of art schools on blast.

I know I'm about to put tons of art schools on blast, but I want to warn you all. Do not go to any art schools in Michigan they're terrible! If you want to go to art school please go somewhere else.

Animation College In Bangalore, India

Hi everyone,

I am from bangalore and I have finished my 12th. I want to have an career in animation. I've been doing a lot of research on Best Animation Academy's and I came across this institute "Animaster" in bangalore. I've heard they provide very good in depth education on animation and the most exciting part is they are tied up with mysore university and offer a graduation course in animation which is really awesome. I've even seen their positive reviews everywhere over the web. So atlast I wanted to have a review from the AWN group.

www.animaster.com

Give me suggestions

Thanks 

Just my little story

No questions, no advice, just my thoughts and experience...

I'm wrapping up my BA in film production and I'm hoping to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming an animator someday. I've been looking into online (it has to be online, since I live in the middle of nowhere and don't have the option of relocating due to my husband's job) graduate animation programs. I still battle it out in my head all the time whether or not it's better to go the actual degree route or just learn through online classes and tutorials. I have seriously been looking into SCAD because they offer an online MA degree and they seem to offer a lot of interesting courses. I was also looking at Academy of Art, RMCAD, and the Art Institutes schools, but read some bad reviews of them. Checked out Animation Mentor too, which looks great, but is also expensive.

Call me naive, but I was surprised when I started doing my research because it seems like there would be a lot more online animtion degrees from long-established universities. I'm sure it doesn't matter where you get your education from, as long as you have the talent and tenacity, but I just don't want to get swindled (not saying that well-established universities can't screw you - I'm about to graduate from one).

So, I'm just saying that I'm thankful for this site/forum because it's given me a lot of insight into what to expect and what to look for. 

Animation Creator

I have seen here! Much more anime creatr are here in world and even more crazier! i have found  tool for making anime and want to share her! Visit here http://softwarespatch.com and i have also used many tools to create animated videos :)

Pages

randomness