Search form

Sticky threads - topics?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sticky threads - topics?

So, since the topic of sticky threads has come up again recently, and since sitting around b*tching about it gets us nowhere, I wanted to see what everyone thought the best topics for sticky threads were. If we can reach a consensus, maybe one of the mods can slap a few stickies at the top of the forum and we can all get back to wrangling over more esoteric subjects ;)

To start it off, here are my top 3:

2D vs. 3D
Which software package is "better" (3D and/or 2D)
Animation schools

And yes, I realize that this is exactly the type of thread I've been complaining about, but if we can quantify our gripes, then maybe we can get the stickies we've hinted at (unsuccessfully, so far...)

We're not dropping anything off consciously

There may be some new defaults as to what thread history shows or not, but we haven't done anything to drop anything off. Are threads dropping off for sure?

Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.

Dan, I don't think the problem is that threads are dropping off (Wontobe's comment notwithstanding). What we're looking for is a handful of sticky threads at the top of the list that addresses some of the questions that get asked repeatedly, especially by people new to the site.

Animated Ape has addressed one subject already with his sticky about schools. Some others (mentioned in this thread) would be helpful as well.

DSB

Dan, I don't think the problem is that threads are dropping off (Wontobe's comment notwithstanding). What we're looking for is a handful of sticky threads at the top of the list that addresses some of the questions that get asked repeatedly, especially by people new to the site.

Animated Ape has addressed one subject already with his sticky about schools. Some others (mentioned in this thread) would be helpful as well.

DSB

or you have one or two sticky threads that contain topics. each post can have a list of getting started threads.

I'd like to see a thread in reply to Dan from Wontobe. There are settings you have to tick in the search fields to bring up older posts, and all the posts from the old board I think have been lost. I have trouble searching for 2d and 3d topics because of the limits on the number of characters in search fields, that has been a problem.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I still think we need a tutorial section, I uploaded these effects studies BlueHickey shared on the old board, again for those that are interested, I am sure there were more, but I can't find them on my computer anymore, but if a section was made, I am sure he'd share again, but he's done it like three times already. Quite the run on sentence I have there. Here are the examples for those that are interested.

http://www.tco.net/~phacker/AWN/effects/

Anime vs American Style, or vice versa.

Oh and one that doesn't have a lot of threads, but there should be warning for the flybys that think they can leave their spam.

Spam don't do it here!

i think the main ones are listed,now for someone to go search....

Here's another Mac vs Pc, please make it a sticky!

Animation post thread

Animation post thread

What's a "post thread"?

Why not put the most popular ideas up on one of those voting threads? Enable "allow multiple choice."[LIST]
[*]How do I get started in animation?
[*]Why do you love/hate anime? [something to that effect]
[*]Best Animation Books
[*]Best Animation Schools
[*]Best Animation[/LIST]

I wont to see a sticky about nugges of gold, a collection of all the really great advice that is given here. I just noticed that threads are dropping off, it looks like they have made a limit to the number of thears this web site will keep.