Search form

Eisner attempts to scuttle Pixar deal

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eisner attempts to scuttle Pixar deal

From the New York Post:

Michael Eisner, the famously meddlesome former boss of the Walt Disney Co., did his best to scuttle the entertainment giant's recent acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios, The Post has learned.

Eisner, who officially left Disney last fall after trying in vain to keep his seat on the board, contacted board members to lobby against approving the $7.4 billion deal — suggesting that, even after being pushed out of the company, Eisner is having a tough time letting go his grip on power.

Eisner's lobbying was for naught: the deal, which was the first coup for Eisner successor Bob Iger, was approved late last month after a two-day board meeting.

While Eisner disapproving of the deal is hardly a surprise — after all, while CEO he could have pursued a deal to buy the animation giant but instead alienated Pixar boss Steve Jobs — his open lobbying against it so soon after passing the reins to Iger is a remarkable breach of corporate decorum and served to undermine his own handpicked successor.

A spokesman for Eisner said: "We don't comment on rumor, but Mr. Iger has Mr. Eisner's complete support in sustaining the growth of Disney."

Eisner remains one of Disney's largest individual shareholders: he owns about 14.6 million shares in the company, a stake worth close to $400 million.

Since stepping down from Disney in October — about a year earlier than originally planned — Eisner has been casting about for new opportunities. His first official gig was made public last month when cable network CNBC hired him to host a talk show, an idea inspired by the stint that Eisner guest-hosted "The Charlie Rose Show" last year.

Eisner has also been making the rounds, along with Peter Murphy, the former head of strategy at Disney, trying to raise funds to start an investment firm that will finance new media ventures and Broadway plays, sources have said. Eisner felt the deal for Pixar was too expensive, sources say, while at the same time the deal illustrates one of the major shortcomings of Eisner's reign: Disney's own animation unit was left in tatters. Indeed, when making the announcement, Iger indicated that the deal was a tacit admission Disney had botched its own animation business.

He said the deal was aimed at returning "Disney animation to greatness."

Eisner never would have done such a deal, say those who know him, because he would have been unwilling to put such a large block of stock in Jobs' hands. The deal made Jobs the largest individual shareholder of Disney with a stake worth close to $3.7 billion, and gave him a seat on the board.

Eisner is a selfish idiot.

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Follow @chaostoon on Twitter!

From the New York Post:

Eisner never would have done such a deal, say those who know him, because he would have been unwilling to put such a large block of stock in Jobs' hands. The deal made Jobs the largest individual shareholder of Disney with a stake worth close to $3.7 billion, and gave him a seat on the board.

Probably not, because it would give someone else more control, than what he holds. I wait and see what happens now, with the big D.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

In light of this, I think I'll share alittle song I posted online elsewhere back when Eisner and Stainton closed the 2D animation department. It kind of applies here too. ;)

Sing along everyone:

[I]Ven der Eisner says "I own dis Disney place".
Ve HEIL! Ve HEIL! Right in der Eisner's face.

Not to love der Eisner is a big disgrace.

Ven Herr Stainton says "2D is such a waste".
Ve HEIL! Ve HEIL! Right in der Stainton's face.

Ven Herr Stainton says "3D's der master race."
Ve HEIL! Ve HEIL! Right in der Stainton's face.

Ist dey not ein supermen?
Ya dey ist no supermen!
Ist dey ist ein dirty rat?
Ya dey ist ein dirty rat!

Ven der Eisner says "You vill not verk like slaves."
Ve HEIL! Ve HEIL! But den ve verk like slaves.

Ven der Eisner yells and screams and rants and raves.
Ve HEIL! Ve HEIL! For every coin he saves.

Ven der Eisner says "Layoffs get rid of waste"

Ven der Eisner says "Disney is der master race."
Ve HEIL! Ve HEIL! Riiiiiiiiight iiiiiiiiiiiiin deeeeeeeeeeer Eiiiiiiiiiiiisneeeeeeeer's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace! [/I]

Order my book Jesus Needs Help on Amazon or download on Kindle.

You can also read the first 18 pages of my next book for free at this link: The Hap Hap Happy Happenstance of Fanny Punongtiti

Woah- a Spike Jones reference in this day and age... awesome!

*edit: just realized Spike's song was in a Disney cartoon. I was previously only familiar with it from an album. I'm still pleased :cool:

-Cookaburra

Spike Jones rules! But I think Haredevil was referencing the Donald Duck short "Der Fuehrer's Face" more than the Spike Jones song.

But I could be wrong... :D

That was a fast post, DSB!

According to Wikipedia, the short was apparently "Donald Duck in Nutzi Land" and the song was actually "Der Fuehrer's Face". Regardless, I agree- he does rule.

-Cookaburra

War cartoons are actually one of my favorite subcategories...I had to write a paper proving that animation helped motivate the end of the second World War...I'm sure the paper's hit or miss (though the teacher ate it up), but I'm convinced!

It's like Grace Slick put it, and I paraphrase: musicians have double the duty: they need to not only know their music and craft, but they also have to know the business if they want to come out on top (if even that). Lawyers and businessmen need never pluck a single string or ever even care about music to wield vast amounts of power over the musican, product and most of all, $$$.

This is where most animation artists fall down. We have such disdain for the business side of show business that we end up being taken advantage of. Part of it's the nature of the work - it takes loads of effort to become even remotely decent at the craft. Part of it's the inclination - if business interested us, we'd have been business majors. And we don't do ourselves any favors by talking about the quality of the art to people whose only concern is what the box office totals are Monday morning.

But we ignore that side of the fence at our own peril. Everyone who's interested in a long-term career in this business should have at least a functional knowledge of the business side of things. Even better, have the ability to tell a business person, in their own language, why good art and good story matter and how they contribute to the bottom line.

...the deal was a tacit admission Disney had botched its own animation business.

Truer words were never spoken...