Search form

Very cool computer innovation: Multi-touch interaction

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Very cool computer innovation: Multi-touch interaction

Some one just forwarded this video to me. I thought some of you might be interested in where the future of computer interaction may be heading.

http://mrl.nyu.edu.nyud.net:8090/~jhan/ftirtouch/multitouchreel.mpg

Sorry I don't have more information, but the looks of it are pretty intense, especially when they get two users working on it...

kdiddy13's picture
Producing solidily ok animation since 2001. www.galaxy12.com Now with more doodling! www.galaxy12.com/latenight

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

The problems though are that if you create something without a patent then somebody else goes ahead and files one they can sue you and whatnot, it has happened before. Opposition will take out opponents by stealing rather than innovation. Kind of how microsoft got started in the first place :rolleyes:

oh, and about the ipod thing, i found the article. Towards the bottom is the multi-touch sketch. so, we shall see what happens.

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/54/touch-sensitive-ipod/

Like I said, I understand the reasons behind it, but it doesn't mean I have to like the system. Much innovation has been stifled by the 'big dogs' supressing technologies and not following up on them. Hopefully, they're just patenting the actuall implementation, not the idea. That's more my complaint than anything else, the patenting of ideas, not the actual code.

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

That shit is Badass.

That could open up a whole new experience for musical composers.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

i saw this a couple days ago. It is amazing. I love the part of the video where it is just a SPACE with pictures just scattered about and you manouver in and through them. crazy stuff.

Apple computer has just filed patents for such types of things. There have been rumors of a tablet computer in the works as well...soo, should be interesting. We may get this technology in our hands sooner than you think!

There are rumors that this kind of thing will be on the next ipod. This kind of thing being touch screen, might be multi finger, might not, time will tell. (keep your eyes peeled april first)

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo

i saw this a couple days ago. It is amazing. I love the part of the video where it is just a SPACE with pictures just scattered about and you manouver in and through them. crazy stuff.

Apple computer has just filed patents for such types of things. There have been rumors of a tablet computer in the works as well...soo, should be interesting. We may get this technology in our hands sooner than you think!

There are rumors that this kind of thing will be on the next ipod. This kind of thing being touch screen, might be multi finger, might not, time will tell. (keep your eyes peeled april first)

If it's not multi fingered, how does it differ from a normal touch screen that they've been using in Palm devices for the past ten years?

Ugh. Patents. I understand the desire/need to protect your rights to manufacture original goods, but it's become a way of preventing innovation in a big way. Between Apple and Microsoft they have so many unrealized patents for the sake of keeping them out of the hands of competitors it's unbelievable. Not to mention, once Apple gets it, they make sure that PC (or Linux for that matter) users don't. Apple is just Microsoft with a smaller market share as far as I'm concerned. They all want their monopolies.

We'll see what happens.

www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!

The problems though are that if you create something without a patent then somebody else goes ahead and files one they can sue you and whatnot, it has happened before. Opposition will take out opponents by stealing rather than innovation. Kind of how microsoft got started in the first place :rolleyes:

oh, and about the ipod thing, i found the article. Towards the bottom is the multi-touch sketch. so, we shall see what happens.

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/54/touch-sensitive-ipod/

"who wouldn't want to make stuff for me? I'm awesome." -Bloo