Search form

When to use "Long-headed inbetweens"?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
When to use "Long-headed inbetweens"?

Hey all,
1st time posting.. hope i'm in the right spot.
I'm working out a scene where my character gets "spun' around quickly several times.
Just wondering if there is a conventional/tried n true method for this.
I'm assuming i'll need to use elongated or "long-headed" (ala Ken Harris ((bwof Richard William's anim survival kit))) inbetweens.
Should I still key the guy every 90 degrees? (front left back right)..
If its really fast (he's just been hit by a truck) Does the elongated tween-to-key ratio increase?
Im assuming that the fast action should be shot on 1's as well?
Thanks for the help... this type of forum is a really great idea!

I call it a "smear". A blur is out of focus, interpreted by dry brush cel-paint in the old days. A blur emulates what happens in live action when something moves faster than the camera's rate. A smear? Just cartoonier distortion version of a blur imo. Tends to have more visual weight imo. At 24 fps I think i can catch a one frame smear with my eye than I can a blur. Bugs conducting Giovanni Jones has some great examples of this.

Thanks!
Let me put some 'blurs' in.. and I'll post the cycle...
What's the best way to post the images.. individually.. as an animated gif (seems like the timing would be screwy). or composited all on one page?

Man, you want to see "smears" you have to check out Chuck Jones' "Dover Boys." Smear city!!

If you want to see some reference of something spinning around quickly, check out Mike Kunkle's "Flipped Book." It has a sceen animated out from his comic "Hero Bear and the Kid." The thing is awesome. You can probably find it at a well stocked comic book store. If not you can buy it online at the website, www.theastonishfactory.com I want a demo reel like that. Too bad I can't draw.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

bump.......

bump.......