Search form

Character getting hit by a ball.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Character getting hit by a ball.

Hey All.

Would anybody like to comment on my short animation piece (really short).
I'm going to polish it up in Flash, but I wanted to make sure it was reading well.
You might have to watch it a couple of time, as when I played it back, it was slow the first time.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Okie Dokie...

Not bad... however I think you really need to make it more clear what is going on in the scene here. A few things that I noticed that would help is that you don't really have the body move at all during the impact. This is a great opportunity to get a sense of weight, especially to show how hard the character is getting hit. For example, if it's not really hitting him with much velocity, you can sort of have his body slightly tip over as the ball hits his head. If the ball is going a little harder and faster do the same thing but don't make it so slight, even have the character hop to the left on one foot a little bit. This will really make the viewer FEEL that ball hit. Also don't be afraid ever to really push the envelope on what he does when he gets hit, usually the more the better.

As for his reaction, I think you have him react way to fast... you need a little more time to show what your character is 'thinking'. In fact that is what is most important about acting in animation, you really need to do this to create the illusion that your character is a living, breathing, entity. For example you should try something like have the character hold his head in pain after, or look around in different directions to make him look a little disoriented after being hit. Then when he discovers his assailant have him react by having by having a surprised look on his face to show his disbelief and have that move into a revengeful glare.

I hope that gives you a little food for thought, remember that these aren't really what you should do, but only suggestions on to how to make the business seem more interesting.

Hope that helps =D

Lindsey Keess
Animator

Thank you for your constructive feedback.
I'm going to give a few of your suggestions a try, like having the character hop onto 1 foot and also have him look around in confusion. I think your right, by adding these the piece will be more interesting and will hopfully read better. I'll post it back up when it's done, maybe you could crit again?

Thanks for your advice.

Too short. I guess putting a longer one could be better.

Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
www.prestostudio.com
debjit at prestostudio dot com