Search form

Good Animation Schools and Colleges

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Good Animation Schools and Colleges

I have been looking at possible colleges to attend for an animation( or something similar) degree and have found that most of the typical schools are all based on art degrees and everything related to that, which brings me to my question----I am trying to find a college that offers animation yet also offers the true "college experience" with traditions, organizations, etc. Do any strictly art colleges offer this? Are there any regular universities or colleges that have good animation programs?

Thanks

You can always get started with this thread...

http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t=1501

Lots of Colleges and Universities offer
"The WHOLE experience" ... that is what College is, an experience. Each place will be a different experience for each person though. If you want to be in a Greek System, most places have them. Sports, Religion, Adventure, and any other club you can imagine can be found almost anywhere. Or you can do what my Brother did with his friends and start up new clubs. If you want the social aspect and granted many want the alcohol induced socials, you can find that anywhere. If you think you want to "try out" animation to see if it is for you then I suggest getting some books or trying to attend a summer program like the one at Ringling. You can also take classes that deal with animation at a community college (granted these won't be spectacular usually) Anywhere you go if you are trying to do animation and do it well, you will be so busy working that you won't have too much time for other things. If you want a College experience go for a year and explore everything you want to after it is over reasses your goals. Don't worry about graduating at the same time as your friends or following a traditional 4 years and out approach (but don't look at college as a joy ride..take it serious the whole time you are there, but also have fun.) If you are unsure about anything it is OK. It takes time to find out what you want. It took me four years of business school and a degree to realize I was doing the wrong thing. Now I am starting art school this year for Computer Animation. Hope this helps.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." ---Gandalf

Are there any regular universities or colleges that have good animation programs?

Sure. Look for schools that teach principles and techniques, not software. Look for schools that have strong, well-respected art programs.

I have to say, it sounds as though you're trying to find a good animation program at a school that also has, say, a nationally-ranked football program. That's going to be tough. You have to decide what's important to you. Is it being well-trained for a career you desire, or is it joining a frat and hitting the tailgate party before homecoming? Only you can decide, and you'll have to deal with whatever comes as the result of that decision. College is only four years - a career lasts a lifetime.

If you go to an art school for animation, you'll have almost all of the same experiences as normally associated with "the college life;" it will have its differences, since the campus has a singular unchanging focus, especially in the housing situations and the community life, but you're not going to lose anything that you won't be able to tell your friends and grandkids that everyone else might've had.

As far as conventional schools offering animation, most don't know what they're getting into, and quickly get over their head. They don't follow trends as well so they're always shifting courses, equipment, etc. and might not provide you with a systematic setup most conducive to you learning and being a streamlined, as they say, "ninja."

Now...that being said, it is not rare to find actual current or former professional animators working at teachers even at non-art schools, and it is also definitely not rare for a conventional school to have graduates that meet with great success and find gainful employment. You'll determine your future wherever you go, but if you can afford it your odds are simply better of getting the most out of what you put in...