Search form

"Crap"

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Crap"

I know I've hit an all time low. I know most of my stuff is crap, but somehow I always found a voice. But right now I can't really get involved in anything. I start a project and think what's the use...and I don't know what the purpose is, but maybe if the rest of you would share why you create maybe I could get back on my feet. Even my static graphics have gone down hill and become worthless at the moment. I used to make my music for the "Scoot", but she's gone now, and I did my graphics to make a little money...I'll still keep hacking at that, but that's exactly what it's going to be. I am so tired of trying to meet mediocre PR standards for that stuff, I am ready to toss the hat in. And I am disappointed in the direction the world seems to be taking right now. How do you guys keep your footing?

phacker's picture
Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

I keep drawing cause it's all I got. :(

To be able to sit there and draw some pictures straight outta my brain, then see them move and come to life for the first time is probably the equivalent to having a child. Though I have no children so I can't really say that for sure. My point is, I draw because it's the only thing I know how to do, and I'd be lost if I quit. I spent two years on an indie project just to have it torn to shreds by professionals and rejected from a billion festivals, but instead of jumping out my window, I just keep on moving. I'm babbling again, someone slap me!

How do you guys keep your footing?

You don't. Art and life is unpredictable, and the art industry is VERY unpredictable. Just when you get comfortable and used to your surroundings, you get thrown a curve ball and get knocked off balance. When that happens you need to re-orient yourself and find you center again.

I sad to hear you're having a rough go of things lately Phacker. I too have had a rough past few months. When that happens, it's often good to just step back and take a breather away from your art for a few days, weeks, or even months. Go see some movies. Or read some books you've been meaning to get too. Just give your mind a break, then you can return back nice and fresh.

I hope things get better for you soon Phacker.

Aloha,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Thanks guys, I thought I had fought my way back around Christmas. Made a couple new cards and thought I'd found my muse again, but somehow it fell it apart.

How do you deal with the criticism. With my static logos and stuff I deal with a lot really artististic dumbos....but they hold the money bags, so I have to admit I've whored. Doesn't make feel better about my craft but it has paid the bills.

Hey, Phacker

I used to work a lot with logo design, I know it really can be complicated. But I have to tell you it´is almost a team job, the creator and the client...Cause a logo has to say exactly what are the services and missions of your client´s company. So they all end up getting involved, giving those tips (rarely good ones).
But in the end, you have to listen to them because no one knows the company as well as its owner. I know we here at the artistic business never like people messin´ in our creations...

So don´t feel like you whored, we have to deal with criticism as a normal construction of the project. Of course you won´t put that dead bleeding cow illustration on a restaurant logo :D , but is always good to listen when the client has a good point.
Hope it helped

cheers
Fred

Thanks Fred, wish I was working directly with the company owners, but most of the time I am working with a second party that scouts and culls, with their own itinerary. It really get's frustrating. Maybe someday I'll be big time enough to deal with the company owners firsthand.

Yeah, not allways the owners involve themselves..
But hey, one thing I learned is that if you put really solid bases on the logo, with good argumentation, you have little chances of reprovall.

BrokenBoyBlues, that's how I started. I knew I had something to say and I found a voice to say it with. And you aren't babbling, that's what a lot of us independents do, because we are sitting in front of our computers doing our thing

AnimatedApe...apreciate you jumping in. You work in the real world of animation. And I really appreciate your opinion. I know it's hard, and I know you struggle too. I am just a little web designer, and an independent so your opinion matters a lot to me. Thanks again.

Phacker, first - my sympathies. We've all been there, and it's no fun.

I find it's easier to deal with the chuckleheads if I keep in mind that there are basically two kinds of art - commercial and personal. When you're doing stuff for someone else (like logo design), they get to have the last say, even if all their taste is in their mouth :D. I'm dealing with that now, in fact. I'm revising a perfectly GREAT design because someone decided this little character should be holding up a sign instead of gesturing to it. A lame change (and probably on a whim) that will cost me hours of my time. BUT (and it's a big but) they are hours I'm getting paid for.

On the other hand, there's the personal stuff. No one can tell me what to do with my own projects. I can listen to their advice and use it or discard it, but what ends up at the end is all my call.

I went through all these post a little fast, but I did not notice anything about having other stuff going on in your life. I am thinking that you something out side of art, like some kind of sport, hobby, or even a part time job. Exposure to other people, places and events can be the fertilizer to get new ideas growing. Maybe try button-holing your friends and try to get them to spill their guts on whatever is on their mind. Just be sure to listen and not try to fix or judge what is being said. I hope this was PC and of some help.

Uh-oh. Someone said PC around a graphic designer.

*hides from the Mac stampede*

Hi Pat,

To be honest, all of you guys on here (and CGTalk) are pretty inspirational to me, for all of the pieces that you create in your free time. I very rarely accomplish any artistic endeavours outside of work, as I find that tiring enough, so it's cool to drop in on random threads to see what people are up to.
Every single time you draw or click you're learning, and to me, that's what it's all about.
Just get back to doodling with a pencil and some paper - some quick little character sketches or something, and suddenly your imagination will kick into overdrive, of that I am certain.

All the best,
K

it isn't crap, it is just a block... just don't allow yourself to be intimidated by it. it is difficult to try and explain to a boss or any other creativeless soul why your not running around making beautiful things all of the time. It gets even worse when you have to explain that to yourself, isn't it?
you have to have low points to be able to have the truely great high points, or else how would you recognise them?
just relax, and it will come to you eventually, don't force it... that's what I try to do. Go back to your sources of inspiration, or just have a big ice cream! Make yourself feel better and happier before you tackle your white sheet of paper.
It seems to work for me1

"check it out, you know it makes sense!" http://miaumau.blogspot.com/

For getting the creative juices going again I'd recomend getting together with one of your creative friends, having a but to drink, and filling a scetchbook with strange drawings. And a joint project with another creative type allways works well - though it can lead to a clash of the egos.

Mike Futcher - www.yogyog.org

These are all great suggestions. I do gardening on the side so I do get out in the sunshine and do some manual labor every week. But lately instead of being invigorating it poops me out for the rest of the week.

As to creative friends. None of my current friends are all that creative and none of them understand exactly what it is that I do.

I know this will pass. So guess I just have to go with the flow. I may break down and go see the latest Star War's Flick in the theatre, that may get my juices going.

Thanks everyone.

Pat, thanks for voicing what a lot of us have going on at times.

As you may know, I make my living teaching, which is a pretty secure gig. But I still hit those moments when I think I'm wasting my time, that my work sucks, that I may as well give it up because it will never amount to anything and anybody could do better.

Then there's the fact that I really can't accomplish diddly during regular hours because I'm supposed to be a teacher (not an artist) at work and when I get home I'm stopped every five to thirty minutes to hold the baby or change his diaper. I wouldn't trade that little guy for anything in the world, so sometimes I just stay up late and work.

I try to keep a few things going on and switch to something new occassionally to see things from a different point of view. Try a new program. Try drawing different subject matter. Use a different medium. Take a class.

This year I got a new infusion of goodies when I started farting around with 3D. Last week a friend inspired me to attempt a comic book. So I've go those both going on, and all using the same subject matter and characters I've been destroying since I started trying this out several years ago. It really makes me feel good when I try something new and do okay. I've also had to learn to be gentle with myself, since I'm not trained as an artist, don't have much experience, and I usually think my work sucks. So I just don't go there. I make the imperfection part of the appeal. And (for me) I remind myself that I enjoy drawing, animating, creating, writing.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Don't Care so Much!!!

Hello Phacker,

Hey listen, we go back a few thousand posts- so ....

I am going to let you in on the secret of creation....

There's no biblical import except to say everyone has to figure out what and where their creatiive Source is...

I try not to get hooked on what I am doing as much as getting hooked on just the doing. The secret is...DON'T CARE TOO MUCH about what you are doing.
When we start to believe too much that we are personal authors and creators that puts a stake out there that put us on the line.

To free yourself up just don't care too much about what you are doing or what others will think. Take things one step at a time and go from there...just take the next step.

I find the best work I do is when I don't take so much responsibility for it artistically and just do the work. It relieves the pressure and things just start to flow.

I do happen to believe in a Source for everthing...and to me that relieves me and allows me to be creative....

Have fun with it!

Thanks.

Incidentally, speaking of a couple thousand posts, Phacker is currently in the running for the (albeit imaginary) Community Service award for the member with far and away the most posts. And what's worse is they're just about all constructive and helpful. Thanks for the contributions. I know -I- appreciate them.

Thanks a lot Scattered and Larry. I try to be helpful. I know I am not all the time. And for me post counts don't matter. AWN has been a lot of support for me, and guided me in developing and that's where most of my posts came from. I still miss a lot of the original folks that haven't found their way back here, or maybe they have better things to do right now.

I think my biggest hurdle is getting over Scooter...She wasn't much just seven lbs of dynamite, but she launched my internet creations. Trying to branch out and not include her has been hard. I know I am going to get past it...but not sure I want to totally go off in a new direction.

Pat

I may break down and go see the latest Star War's Flick in the theatre, that may get my juices going.

AAAAHHH!! Don't do that! No creative block is worth paying that high a price!;)

Seriously, if you want to go see a fun movie that's inspirational (and with a space theme), go check out Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I saw it last weekend and it was a fun, solid movie with good performances and (gasp) a healthy dose of practical effects.

Good advice DSB, I used to watch hitchhiker on PBS I think...might have been the SciFi channel, at that time I had cable. I'll give Star Wars a pass then and wait for the dvd.

Hitchhiker was kind of droll at the time...like the old Dr. Who series, which I enjoyed.

Phacker, if you go, look for the cameo by the Marvin from the TV series. It's hard to miss - almost like the filmmakers are yelling "look, we got the original Marvin suit!"