Search form

Animation for kids

1 post / 0 new
Animation for kids

Hello People,

I recently conducted an Introductory Animation workshop for kids and I would like to share my experience with everyone. These kids were ranging 6-14 years in age and although all of them liked watching cartoons, none of them knew how they are made. I chose to introduce them to animation through simple things like Flip books, and stop motion animation under a web cam.

It took them about 10 minutes to understand how to make a flip book. I had to give them simple demonstrations, but once when kids got a hang of things they started coming out with really complicated stuff. There were football players kicking football, Sun rising, volcanoes erupting, Trees growing, fish swimming, and even a flip book on 9/11, all of this from the kids who had no previous knowledge of making flip books. I have to say that I was blown away by the creativity and it's application shown by kids.

It seems kids have a natural curiosity for animation, and animation can be easily incorporated in the curriculum in schools. Animation is already being used as an educational medium but what if kids get to make their own films. I would love to hear more ideas about how animation can be introduced to kids.

HelterSkelter