Search form

Good news on the home front

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Good news on the home front

So I woke up this morning to the sound of the phone ringing, but warm and comfortable in my bed I wasn't about to go look for the phone that wasn't on its stand by the bed where it should be. My wife had already left for her internship and I was supposed to be at work in 45 minutes. I let it ring and ring until our answering machine picked up. I was expecting to hear my wife calling to remind me about something or just to give me a good morning I love you, but alas it was not her. Instead it was the director of human resources for the Sarasota County Schools. She was calling to tell my wife that she is "VERY INTERESTED" in her and would like to talk with her as soon as possible and mentioned that they conduct interviews all year, but they are specifically searching for someone like her right now to begin next year and that they can finance most relocation expenses (a.k.a. "we'll do anything to have you"). My wife is a hot commodity right now in Florida because they are looking for as many teachers as they can find with a new class size law, but she also is graduating with a Masters in special education and she has a 4.0 G.P.A. with tons of volunteer service and experience working with kids with dissabilities. She just loves doing it. (and she is HOT! :) )

The reason this is great news and how it applies to animation (for anyone who does not know my back story) is that this is one more step towards being able to go to the Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota where I have applied for the Computer Animation Program. If she gets a good job down there, our financial and stressful situation will be under control and we won't be scraping for nickels between the sofa cushions. (of course Ringling tuition will be a huge load of loans, but it'll be worth it)

On a scary/happy? note last night she tells me....she's two weeks late and joked about being pregnant.....uhhhhh what do I say to that? ha ha ha I'll be happy either way. I am just a little excited right now. Could be the caffine talking too. WHEW IT"S EARLY STILL!

And the funny thing is that She doesn't know that this lady called and won't know until she gets home tonight around 7pm from the gym. I think I will bring some flowers home and maybe take her out to get some ice cream. Have a great day everyone. I find out whether or not I got in in about a month. Man that seems so far away.

hett15's picture
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." ---Gandalf

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to us." ---Gandalf

More news to report:

Well the Sarasota HR lady called back again to get some info on my wife and she was very astounded at my wife's credentials and said that she really stuck out from all the applications she has EVER seen. She called the education college to get her records and talk with some of her teachers and they all gave her incredible reccommendations (they all love her too). I know some of it is textbook recruiting fluff, but it still sounds wonderful to hear that about my wife. We did not tell her that I am trying to go to Ringling becasue we didn't want to put all of her cards on the table and give the real reason why we want to move there. then later after another conversation with the head of the HR department it looks like they want my wife to move there in May because there are some things she will have to do over the summer to be able to work there (training, orientation, etc..) They did however say that they would pay for a lot of the relocation costs (which I know is expensive). I on the other hand will not be moving until late July, because after wieghing my options I can make a lot more money staying on through July then I could moving down there and finding, starting, and quiting a job in 3 months. Looking at the Ringling tuition, I need all the help I can get. Loans will only go so far and I don't want to be in more debt then I can handle. Maybe with the money I make during those three months I can save it and use it to pay the interest payments while I am in school. (I already earned a BS in business, so I am not eligible for most scholarships or any grants) I will be applying to as many scholarships as I can though.

I have been asked to give my company 60 days notice if possible in the event that I know I am leaving so that they can search for, hire, and have me train a replacement editor and I think it is fair after the opportunity that they have given me that I do what I can to make it as smoothe a transition as possible. I was hired after sending in an email and then interned for 2 days with no prior professional experience. Some of it was based my my skill and some of it was just dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time. I did pay my dues though if any of you remember I worked 4-11pm 5 days a week just so I could get time on the editing equipment and worked at Sears 9am-3:30pm 6 days a week. I was finally moved into a full time position, and now they want to move me up another step in the editor hierarchy.

So my wife and I will be living apart for 3 months:( . I guess I will see her occasionally, but it is going to be hard since we will be 6 hours apart. If I find out I will be starting at Ringling in the fall it might make it easier :) Oh and if all goes well Ed, I would like fries with my angst..er angus burger and my wife will have the chicken caeser salad with light ranch stressing...er dressing. :D

Hey, you don't have to eat at the BK just because it's -close- lol

Honestly, Greg, if there was some way I could help you, I would. It's not fair in my eyes to exclude you just because you've had prior education, especially since this is a different education instead of a furthering of an existing one (I mean since it's not a masters program in your other field)...

Oh, and it's no fair teasing about good looks when you don't post a pic =P

Oh, and it's no fair teasing about good looks when you don't post a pic =P

SHE'S SO BLAZINGLY HOT!!!! :D
I'll draw you a picture of her.

there was a picture of us back on an intro thread where we all posted pics of ourselves. I'll try to find it. (we were in high in the pic though so we were much younger )

We need to see a picture Hett. And good luck with the Ringling thing. Hope you get in.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

60 days?

You are kidding -right.

I would only give them 2 weeks- 4 weeks at the most. They gave you 2 days to adapt when you started.

8 weeks is too long...especially if your wife is pregnant.

Hope you haven't said anything yet...

Congrats to you both!

Fire up those burgers, Ed!

I would love to have you over but I would have to first me you at the school, blindfold you and the wife, drive around aimlessly for a few hours and it wouldn't be until you were secured in our panic room could I take the blindfolds off.

I hope you like techno music because it would be played continuously at an extremely high volume to insure disorientation. Nothing personal but I can’t have students (or potential students) know of my whereabouts outside the classroom.

On the bright side the burgers would be grilled to perfection.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida

Nothing personal but I can’t have students (or potential students) know of my whereabouts outside the classroom.

On the bright side the burgers would be grilled to perfection.

ed

AH HA!!! So you are saying that I DO have POTENTIAL!!! Man, I am a shoe in now! JK

I'm cool with the whole thing though really. I fully understand the student/teacher relationship thing, same as when my Dad was my soccer coach. Sure I knew him outside of the team, but I had to respect him as a coach while I was on the team and in front of all the other players and he treated me just the same as he would treat anyone else on the team. Ha ha once he even treated my mom like she was just another mom of a kid on the team (she didn't like that very much and that was the last time that ever happened :) ) As the Donald would say.."It's nothing personal, it's just business."

I like ketchup and bacon on my burgers...mmmmmmm :p

My wife works for the Manatee county school system (just north of Sarasota county) if your wife has any questions she might be able to assist her.

By the way we haven't been given the applications yet.

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida

As a fellow Ringling Bro. let me be one of the first to congratulate you on all accounts. Your wife might also contact one of my relatives, who just got accepted for 7th grade English (eh, Rupert, eh?) over in Brevard.

Good things come to those who wait...

Wow I guess God just wanted to make things interesting...I just got back from a 3 hour production department meeting to talk about the future of our company and what roles we will all be expected to play and as it turns out I will be the only one whose job will be significantly altered. We spent an hour discussing what they have planned for me and the equipment I might be expected to be in charge of. Currently I am a AVID video editor working on an ongoing self contained project where I do everything in post production from capturing tape through burning and printing the DVD's. They are planning on buying an entirely new editing suite and they think that instead of hiring a new editor they want to train me and make me into the new editor, that way they can hire a college grad whom I'll have to train to take over the job I was doing . We are talking about a $100,000 purchase with me slated as the designated recipient of the new technology.... they asked me where do I see my self a year or two from now and do I think I will want to become the new editor (which should mean more $). I told them that (as I said when I was hired ) my wife is getting her masters and if she is offered a job that is better off financially for us then I will have to follow her, and that she has already been offered a couple of jobs here in town so unless something changes in the next few months it looks like I will still be here for awhile.

I did not lie, but ommission is close to it it might as well be lying and I don't like doing that to anyone that I have built a trustful relationship with. I like the people I work with and the job is pretty cool so far, I just don't know what is going on right now and there are so many factors that won't be resolved soon enough. (Ed can you guys hurry up on those applications please :D ) I'll get back to you after I talk to my wife tonight. Boy will she be suprised at all this drama.

Ideally I want to go to Ringling and have my wife teach in Sarasota. Just because I might have a job offer here doesn't mean that if I had the choice I would take it. I want to go to Ringling more than anything (just so anyone out there who might be deciding my fate is aware :) ). Alrighty then I'll get back to you guys about this. STRESS is so stressful!

One thing I love about my public school teaching job is the benefits, the paycheck, and the vacations. With our son just having hit two months, it's terrific.

If your wife is pregnant start doing everything for her soon. I've sort of gotten used to dropping whatever I'm drawing, writing, or animating so I can get her water while she's nursing, getting up early or staying up late so I can get some uninterrupted animation time and still take great care of her, doing the laundry, the cooking, and the dishes.

Before I sound like a hero, she is starting to be able to do more for little Pete by herself and is at home with him during the day, a slave to him. I just try to make her life easier when I can. And I'm still the same ignorant moron I've always been in other respects. Now the only refuge I have is in the garage, doing laundry or (yaay!!) working on my harley to get it ready for spring.

It's all a good time and worth it all, though...How's the pay for teacher in Flawida?

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

It's all a good time and worth it all, though...How's the pay for teacher in Flawida?

It ranks at the bottom of the barrel just above a few places like mississippi and arkansas i think, but in Florida Sarasota is one of the highest paying areas.

News just in:
My wife got the message on her cell also and she called the lady and talked to her and from what they talked about they are ready to hire her on the spot and nothing will stop them from getting her hired as soon as all the requirements for her degree are finalized in April. Sooooooooo it looks like we are moving to Sarasota worry free!!!!

Now I just have to get on those Ringling chaps about my portfoilo and application. Do you think groveling is going too far?

iT'S oKAY!

Hello,

Just remember you don't have the place in Ringling yet so it isn't a fib until you have the final word...just be cool and continue until you hear.

Maybe Ed can move it along...just kidding! I KNOW how these things are...

I am SURE that once you are settled in Sarasota, Ed will want to have you and your wife over for dinner 7 or 8 times just to make up for the angst the entire process has caused you :)

Right Ed!

eh-eh...

Congrats on all accounts....