Search form

Larry's Stuff

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Larry's Stuff

Here are some recent drawings - November on...felt like I should put something up...
The shell is the primary underpainting but I like it the wat it is...

Thanks.

Larry L.'s picture
Larry web site http://tooninst[URL=http://tooninstitute.awn.com]itute.awn.com [/URL]blog: [U]http://www.awm.com/blogs/always-animated [/U] email: larry.lauria@gmail.com

Hey Larry. Beautiful work, makes me want to travel and see a bit more of the world.

Thanks

Thanks...I really enjoy having fun with this work,,,makes me want to go back over, too.

Here is a child in a boulangrie in Cavallion (supposedly the place where Mayle's new book DAILY BREAD was researched.

Then, a decorative rooftop in Dijon

and finally, a tea room in Isle sur la Sorgue.

Thanks again..

Napkin Toons

Hello.

Here are a few sketches from a pizza place on Tybee Island.

Nothing was planned- no thumbnails, no comic concepts...everything just "happened".

Thanks.

S!ure Jared

Sure Jared,

Just send me a blank check from a bank -other than one Texas...and please no cowhides I have plenty!

Thanks Guy!

By the way...

http://forums.awn.com/showthread.php?t=1939

Here's a link to my production journal for OUR WORLD at the ANIMATION CAFE forum...plenty of drawings there...

Later...

Some Vilppu influenced work

Hello.

Here is some work influenced by our Artist in residence, Glenn Vilppu. He and his lovely wife Eleanor ahs been real inspirations... Great folks!

Some More sketches

Here are a few more...it's been great to draw and sketch more...plus here's an homage to Michael Gagne' who was here last week.

Thanks

Hello...some recent Ty B. Bear sketches

Hello.

Here are some more Ty B. Bear sketches....

Enjoy...

p.s. I will give you more info on the book when I hear more from the publisher...

Thanks

The paper in that sketchbook/bound-journal looks cool as the dickens! Where'd you find it?

And Still More Euro Images...

Some more... from Europe

The last character image has a couple of cartoonish Ryan Larkins I drew after seeing the movie...
:D
Thanks.

Even More...

Here are a few more....

Great stuff! Ty B. & Duncan Dog should meet up 1 day;)

What would scooby do?

Hey Jabber!

Guten Tag!

Actually, Jabber, I used a Very, very light touch because the pencil I used was a fountain pen- remember fountain pens- two centuries ago?

The last one is a nudist colony. I began with the girl on the bottom of the drawing - on the beach...then began to add more and "naturalists".

Thanks or your comments.

And still more...

Here are a few more images from Sorrento Italy...

There's the Grand Marina

The ancient walls of the city

The Italian girls with ther best "tude" on...

Thanks.

People to Animals

Here are some of today's sketches - turning People into Animals...please note no people were harmed during the execution of these sketches...

Thanks.

Got to say I like the last three, they are very loose, fluid and candid. But have to agree with Scattered, like that fat lady also, very retro in feel, and angular simplicity.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Some more People to Animals

Here are some more People to Animals pix.

Last Post Today

Here are some more sketches- Ty B. Bear, etc.

a Couple more

Here a couple more...

Thanks.

It just occured to me that the log picture is the first time I've seen Ty out of portrait. It's more of a 45er. Never saw him at all in profile. I always loved the design. Simple, has personality, and apparently by the poses very animatable.

The first four people-to-animal characters are, as they say around these parts, "Ace!" I also like the semi-flat almost graphic appeal of the final pic in the last post with the woman. Makes me excited to send stuff to you knowing the power you possess. It's like wanting to learn Jeet Kune-Do and watching Bruce Lee pull a triple roundhouse!

I'm really fond of your meeces, Mr. L. I still remember the pirates, got anymore of those?

I'm surprised they called your stuff Disney, Damage. From what little I've seen of it, I thought you were closer to DC/Marvel/McFarlane. In an organic way, that is.
General questions of style are pretty difficult, I think. We're all influenced by work we admire in one way or another. I don't think anyone can make up a style that is entirely their own, free from all influences. I know my stuff tends to look rather Bluth but I also absolutely adore illustrations by Rackham, Froud, DiTerlizzi and Tenniel.

A children's book? Neat! Will it be available over Amazon?

I totally agree with ScatteredLogical! It's a fun design and all of these pics are great! Kudos

Cereal And Pajamas New Anthology : August 2007
http://www.comicspace.com/cerealandpajamas/

Thanks

Thanks Pat,

Quite hoenstly, I literallly drew them while waiting for my pizza down at the beach. Just paper towels and a skech pen and not even a thumbnail.

They came in the order they are posted...

I like the first one- especially the idea that came about a mermaid in the bucket-it just flowed. The last drawing of the crazy nudist colony thingy was
really very organic - not pun intended.

I was just having fun.

Most of the time you 'just having fun' is like a polar bear saying he's going to give you a "love tap"...Might be a light touch for him but it still crushes =)

Those must be sturdy paper towels. Ours usually just soak themselves full of ink. The chaos on the last one is a little hard to make out because the version you posted is a tad small.

My favs are the beach ones, cuz i both lit fireworks and feel asleep at tybee! hee hee

Go now! Its Free! YES Free!
www.derrickcanyon.com
See my work and me at these other sites! WOW!
http://fearcomedy.com/ (Comic Book Freelance)
http://derrickcanyon.blogspot.com/ (Sketcheroos)
www.radicalaxis.com (Atlanta Studio)
:eek:

More from Sorrento, Italy

Here are a few more from Sorrento, Italy...

The first is a sketch down by the Sea

The second is a water color of the coastline...

The third sketch isone of some of the people we saw.

The Italian women single or married ALWAYS have an attitude.

The Brits, especially the women try to let go... the woman on the right is a Brit housewife trying to be Italian (which would be akin to me being French).

Thanks

Heh. It'd be a nice little exercise, students turning each other into furries.

More Mices to Pieces

Scat...
The toned paper can be bought at an art store...I bought mine at ExLibres (the school store) in Savannah.

Thanks.

More Stuff

I managed to draw a few quick sketches during class - turning students into mice....

Here-you-go...

I didn't know if it was a specific brand, or if it was recycled paper, etc...

Cute mouse drawings... =)

Hey Larry u have a very cool classical look. Since u teach animation do any of ur students ever ask if u change up ur style for a job? I've been trying to have a variety of styles so that i'm flexible. I remember when i first went out to try and find a job in the industry people would tell me that i'm tooo disney. They said they wanted to see more desinger like models. Have u ever got that??

Nope...can't say...

Hello.

Nope, can't say that I have ever had anyone mention my style...

Of course, I do other styles all the time....still do... but this is the style most folks come to me for...

Thanks.

Here come some more from Savannah

Hello.

I still have many, many more - here are some recent works from Savannah, GA.
The first three are from River Street - next weekend over 600,000 crazys will be celebrating Saint Patrick's Day there. (sketches/ watercolors are 15-30 minutes long)

The other views are quick sketches 10-15 minutes of the Low Country

Thanks

There is some really great work here larry, i really love the Ty character. Very solid character sketches. Look forward to seeing more :D

The Log Picture

Thanks for the comments...

The "log picture" is from a children's book I wrote and designed and is at the publishers...TY B. BEAR AND THE FOAM PEOPLE.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Fun stuff!
Can you let us in on the book? When will it be out? When can we reserve our copies? I'm anxious to hear more!
:)

More Sorrento images

Here are some more of my sketches from Sorrento, Italy.

The first are the cliffs from my hotel window- at the 7th Heaven - Sietimo Cielo.

The second are some people I saw while having a coffee at a local cafe.

The third is a women who was wrapped in a huge scarf and was ahnging over the side of a coastal cruise we took.

Thanks.

New Sketches

Hello,

Believe it or not...I am finally getting around to organizing my sketch books from last summer's travels. I spent 6 1/2 weeks in Europe and then went back to teach at SCAD's lacoste campus for the Fall 05 term.

I have so many drawings...of such a wonderful 6 months abroad I just want to share.

Many thanks to Glenn Vilppu for his friendship and guidence...and to Graham Toms, my artistic "brother" and to the zany, wonderful and dedicated animation students who shared my adventure - Missy, Charlie, Jeremy, Darius, Robin, Richmond and Drew...and of course most all to my wife, muse and partner, Tricia.

Thanks

Drawings From Lacoste

Wow- what a year this has been-

Spent most of the summmer in Europe- going to Annecy- traveling through Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland and Luxembourg- drawing and sketching there...

Now having finished my film, I am over here in Lacoste- a hilltown in Provence, teaching some wonderful students and drawing my butt off...

Here's some of the latest stuff- more to post when I get home...

By the way, I am teaching Layout and Character Design, Drawing in Motion and Animated Expeditions.

Thanks.

Here are some more images

Hello.

Here are some more images from the Provence region.

The locations are all out of my sketchbook with watercolor, or pen and wash with a bit of watercolor or marker with pen and watercolor.

Any of the longer figure drawings on these posts are all studio poses from this week- each pose 15-20 minutes long...

Thanks.

A few more...from Provence

Okay...

I am having a ball here working with the students- they are so great...

A few more of my sketches from "on location" in Provence...

That's all very lovely! Did you colour where you sketched?
I've been to France twice in my life and even though I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the Mediterranean atmosphere, I sure like the architecture. That's quite a range of drawing and colouring styles, too.
By the way, I wasn't able to attend this year's grad party in Cologne - how'd everything "My World" go? Is the short finished already or will you collect more material from other European animation schools?

Wow, I really have to step up the level of my travel sketches!

It's nice to see where one can take them though.

FOR SALE sequence of OUR WORLD wins a prize!

Hello Jabberwocky,

Wie gehts?

Actually- it turns out that both of the student produced sequences from the OUR WORLD film project- were pulled and sent to the Hamburg Animation Festival. One of them - FOR SALE - has won a prize- hey will find out tonight or tomorrow whether it's the first, second or third prize. Alexandra Ohlsen,coordinator of the animation program and producer of the film and her Assistant Wilma Warren and the four students are up there right now to ecive an award.

We had ALWAYS planned to pull the sequences out for the GRADUATION FILMS category at selected Festivals.

A final cut of OUR WORLD is in the works- some sequences had to be left out in the first cut- dueto file uploads etc.

I will be back in Cologne for a night November 20th to see he final version and spend sometime with the students...

I am at work on my next film CROSSING THE LINE.

THANKS

neat stuff man!

Thanks

Thanks for the comments....

Sorry about the quality of the scans - because...actually, they are digital shots!

We are getting ready for a Vernissage (a show) this weekend. I want he students to have first access to the hardware/software before me...

To answer your questions...

Everything is based on life and observational drawing- but I tell my students- how you intrepid the art is up to you...it's still all reference.

Some drawing begans by being sketches in ink with a waterbrush for tonal work.

Some sketches are watercolors with a few pen lines added afterward.

Some sketches are ink sketches with with space for watercolor.

A couple are started with markers (Prismacolor or Ad Design markers and then ink sketches are added and sometime prismacolor pencil highlights.

I was amazed to find out how you can put marker down and add pen sketches over top and also watercolors over markers.

Also the Apt market is pen sketch with marker over top....

The trick as my friend, Graham Toms tells me is NOT TO CARE...and NOT TO CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK- JUST DO IT!!!!

Thanks....

Thanks again...