Search form

Software Inquery

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Software Inquery

I don't own maya. I just wanted some feedback on the programm to see if it is worth learning for me. I am more interested in hand drawn 2D animation. However I do like some of the animation styles that maya can produce.

Is there another software which is more affordable and is able to perform like maya?

Finally can not knowing maya prevent your from getting a job in animation?

gavvalion :cool:

If you like 2D animation, you should check out "2D Animation with Happy Trails", a DVD from Wacom (makers of the tablets). They've integrated the tablets with Flash in such a way that they can animate what they draw on the screen. It's quite neat, and the DVD contains a full demonstration of how the animators at Happy Trails use the Wacom tablets with Flash. I prefer 2D animation to 3D, just because of personal preference.

The DVD was available for free a few weeks back, but I'm not sure if Wacom has stopped sending them out.

kms007

Visit The PC Weenies Cartoon
"Tech Toons for the rest of us!"

Thanks Kms007

I went to the wacom website and I saw the DVD you mentioned. They say on the site that it will cost $29 when it becomes available to the public.

I have a question, I went to a site called pricewatch.com, they sell everything computer. They have a large variety of wacom tablets many under $100, which I can afford but which would be a good one to get for this price?

The question is directed to everyone.

gavalion :cool:

Programs that might be more accessible for you could be any of these, but it all depends on how far you can stretch your wallet.

3D Studio Max
Softimage XSI
Lightwave
or one other I've only heard of called "Infini-D". Not sure where you'll find it, but it's supposedly rather cost effective. Brian Taylor has been using it in his Rustboy project.

I'm not a professional by any means, but here are some of my thoughts from what I've learned being a student who's quite passionate about the field of animation.

As to the software performance, a 3D program, like any program, is just a tool, and I think it's true when people say that the tool is only as good as it's user. I'm sure that whatever one you choose to try and learn, you'll gain a basic knowledge of most 3D applications, but the overall outcome of your projects will be defined by your own creative efforts and determination to build your skills.

In other words, don't think that just because you've got Maya in your hot little hands that you're going to be able to go out and create something spectacular, because it takes much more than just knowing the mechanics of 3D to make a good film.

Perhaps you should try to define your long term goals a bit more to help you decide which program would be best to learn? Where do you want to work, what do you want to do with your life? Are there any studios in your country/city that you can ask about what they're looking for? That kind of investigation might help you solve your problem.

I figure your interests in 2D animation would also be helpful to you. If you have a sound understanding of the principles of animation and filmmaking, as well as knowledge of 3D applications, then you're more than capable of creating a rip-roarin' animation and pleasing (potential?) employers.

Having all that will be more beneficial to getting you a job, rather than just "knowing maya". True, you will have a higher advantage if you have good 3D skills on top of that, but I think what it really comes down to is understanding the art of animation itself and being able to articulate/express that knowledge through your work.

Isaac Kerlow made some good points about this kind of thing in regards to 3D, in his book - The Art of 3D Computer Animation - I haven't actually read it, but he did a seminar at a local animation festival a little while back, which was very enlightening. Maybe it might be advantageous for you to look into that too?

---

"...They have a large variety of wacom tablets many under $100, which I can afford but which would be a good one to get for this price?"

I could only see one Tablet there under $100, the rest were all accessories.

But it was a Graphire 4x5, and that's still ok. I had one just like that, before I upgraded to my Intuos 2 and it served me very well. The size of the work area on the tablet is small, but you get used to that and it works just as well as any other tablet I've found.

You'd be well advised to shop around some more though, you might be able to find something bigger and better. If not, you can always go back to it :)

---

I don't know how far you are into this kind of thing, and possibly wasted time trying to tell you what you might already know... but I hope it helps in some respect. Sorry to prattle on like that :o

To notleftbehind

No worries,
I read every bit of your advice. Thank you very much. I have never animated before mainly because of financial reasons. I am however getting closer to my goal, which is why I am asking the questions I do.

gavvalion :o