Search form

Help: Los Angeles or Bay Area?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Help: Los Angeles or Bay Area?

Recently, I decided that I might want to move to the Bay Area from Los Angeles not only to find work (and, ultimately, I think I want to live in the Bay Area) but to be closer to a significant other. Now, I've only lived in LA for two months and do not have a full-time job there in animation or illustration/concept art (I graduated and moved out here in May) but I'm hoping that my decision to move up north is not committing "career suicide." I've found a cheap apartment up here, but I'm wondering if the job market is so much worse here than LA that even with the relationship I should stay down south.

Is anyone here in LA or the Bay Area who has an opinion or advice on the matter? Is the job market up in northern CA horribly worse than in LA and is it better if I stay down south, or are both markets equally as competitive? :confused:

I'm a long time Bay Area resident. I have no knowlege of the job scene here for animators, as I am a high school teacher, but the housing market is outta control! We moved two years ago from the North Bay to near Gilroy, and prices have gone up something like 30% since we've been here.

I know of (though not personally) an animator who was gainfully employed with a SF firm who has since moved to LA. Honestly, I get the impression that it's tough all over.

If you do come to the bay area, however, I do hope you'll take a look at the San Jose chapter of Animation Coop, which I coordinate. Good group of folks, just starting out...

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

Hey, thanks for your response!

I'm taking a big chance by moving around so much, I realize that much--my parents are hardly in the position to help me so I suppose my fear is more of defaulting on my student loans than anything else. But I want to live in California something horrible, and I really don't want to move. And, yes, I do hear that it's bad all over...but slowly improving.

If I move to the Bay Area (actually I'm looking to put a deposit on a cheap room in Fremont) I will certainly look up the SJ Animation Coop! Do you have a direct link to your website?

Anyways, peace out!www.kryshiggins.com

Hey Niamhgold,

I can't help you with your plans to move, but I can make a suggestion for your student loan problem-There are options (which I've used), deferment or forebearance, depending on what type of loans you have, you could get a block of a year without paying or you could get a reduction in monthly payments. All in all-you could rack up almost 4-5 years of extra time to pay it back. Write your loan institution and explain your situation, they will suggest alternatives. Hope this helps. :)

Bird