Search form

Hand drawn Effects

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hand drawn Effects

Hello you looney community,

This didn't really seem addressed in the other post about the same topic. I'm interested as well in creating hand drawn effects (ie fire, water, etc) but HAND DRAWN. I have Particle Illusion, but for my next project I want to do HAND DRAWN EFFECTS.

I just bought the book "Hollywood 2D Digital Animation: The new Flash Production Revolution" and it has some good examples of some effects (water ripples, etc). I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other books or maybe some online tutorials by fellow animators are the subject of HAND DRAWN EFFECTS.

I will be using Flash to build the animation but primarily interested in using frame by frame drawn (vector) effects. I'm going for the traditional effect styling.

Best,

-Joel

Don't know about online tutorials, but at least one of the volumes of Osama Tezuka's "Tezuka School of Animation" books, which were recently translated into english, has stuff about effects animation.

It's definitely a subject which is sadly neglected in western animation books, (and indeed animation!) To look at (otherwise great) books such a Richard Williams' Animators Survival Kit you'd think that characters are the only important thing in animation!! :) Alas, too many animators do actually seem to think this way. :confused:

Need Your Help

Hi

My name is Honey and I am from INDIA.

I am really wasted my days looking for the crack of the Particle Illusion 3.0.1a or link from where I can download the crack. Can you people send me the crack or serial. I urgently require that. Let me tell u that the

Name: Partical Illusion
s/n: 7RT3-5FAB1835-OP0Q

did not work at all. I will be very thankfull to you all.

Take Care

I fully support your choice of hand drawn effects for a hand drawn 2d project - they are likely to integrate much better than Particle Illusion effects. We use Particle Illusion and the results are so obviously software based rather than hand crafted that they work better mixed with 3d or more subtly with photoreal effects compositing work. Cartoon flames for instance would have no resemblance to particle generated flames.
I would reccomend trying line tests based on studying footage of the real thing - it wouldnt take many keyframes to see if a loop of most physical effects is working or not. Some things like clouds or ripples could work by doing rotoscoping.

The Animator's Workbook by Tony White has some good tutorials for both character and effects animation.

Visit my website:

Claire O'Brien.com

Hi

I am really wasted my days looking for the crack of the Particle Illusion 3.0.1a or link from where I can download the crack. Can you people send me the crack or serial. I urgently require that. Let me tell u that the

Take Care

You should be banned from AWN, you were warned in your first thread.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Yeah!, I really respect hand-drawn effects too! :) I don't have much to offer, I'm afraid, but I'll have my eye on this thread in the hopes some more sources for hand-drawn effects will be posted. I really enjoy the old-school hand-drawn effects, like the shooting stars in the "Let Me Be Surprised" sequence of "All Dogs Go to Heaven", all the neat water in the various Disney cartoons, the fire in Fantasia's "Night On Bald Mountain"...awesome stuff! :D

Hi

Take Care

Honey, it is against the law to use software that you have not paid for. Please stop asking for cracks for software.

Thank you,
the Ape

...we must all face a choice, between what is right... and what is easy."

Don't know about online tutorials, but at least one of the volumes of Osama Tezuka's "Tezuka School of Animation" books, which were recently translated into english, has stuff about effects animation.

It's definitely a subject which is sadly neglected in western animation books, (and indeed animation!) To look at (otherwise great) books such a Richard Williams' Animators Survival Kit you'd think that characters are the only important thing in animation!! :) Alas, too many animators do actually seem to think this way............ :confused:

Yes. That Tezuka book has some good effects example.
So does the Halas Batchelor book Timing For Animation.

The reason why characters are focussed on in animation books, to a fella like Williams or the Disney books, Effects animation is a totally different department. Many good character animators may not be as good at doing it.

ANy good fx animators lurking? There's a book to be written.

Josef Gilland has been doing seminars and courses in this direction. Fantastic guy. Did the effects for Lilo&Stitch. He's fantastic no matter what medium you work in. If you ever see him appearing at a festival or school, go!

Bluehickey posted and I've reposted them a couple of times a series of 2d hand drawn effects concerning water and smoke and the like. I ask for them to made a sticky. And I am tired of looking them up or uploading them for new folks. I wish AWN would institute a section for people like Blue to upload useful files like this in a tutorial section.

These are the ones I have saved. But AWN/Dan not sure how long I can host them. You need to make a tutorial area. Not nagging, but yes I am.

Blue was very generous in sharing these examples and I hope they can find a home here at AWN and I hope he is given the recognition he deserves.

These are Bluehickey's don't think you can just trace them and call them your own. He was generous enough to share his skills with us give him credit for his work. And ask for permission when necessary.