Search form

FPS question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
FPS question

Not sure if this is the right forum but.. heregoes. Just wondering, if I were to make something for a film festival does it have to be made at 24 fps? Not that Im too lazy to animate at that speed, but this pc kinda blows so Flash doesnt playback at that speed so I wouldnt know if the animation will look right or not. So do I have to use 24 or can I use other speeds and will everything turn out ok.

Much love
Sherbalex

sherbalex's picture

cool

cool

Not really. But do you mean actual film, or will the final format be video? In neither case you NEED to animate in 24fps, as long as the movie is exported correctly in the end...

I personally use to have some problems on porting Flash to video, so be sure to test it some times...

The best solution to ur problemms is flash to video encoder, i think.Try it.
http://www.geovid.com/Flash_To_Video_Encoder/

Daniel is correct. You can animate at whatever FPS you want. Something to keep in mind though is the end output. Film 24 fps, NTSC video 30 (actually 29.97, but 30 is close enough per shot), PAL 25 fps (I think, don't use it much).

With those in mind, I find it's best to try to animate at a number that divides into those. Example: If you're going to NTSC then you could animate at 30 fps, 15 fps, or 7.5 fps. Film: 24fps, 12fps, 8fps, 6fps, 4fps (of course if you go below 12fps it starts to look odd...)

Basically, if you go off of a multiple it may stutter as it doubles odd frames. This will show up most in pans (which should be animated at full frame rate anyway). That isn't to say it can't be done, you just have to test and retest as you're going along to be sure it outputs correctly just to be safe.

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight

you also know that at least in traditional animation that 24 fps is really 12 drawings shot twice.

One of the longest-running German shows for kids is "Die Sendung mit der Maus" (The Show with the Mouse), featuring live-action clips and so-called "MausSpots", classically animated shorts starring a cartoony orange mouse and her two sidekicks, a tiny blue elephant and a duck.
I once talked to their creator, Friedrich Streich, who has been the directing animator of those shorts ever since the show's first run in the 70s. His approach to animation is a very individual mixture of limited animation and the careful changing of paces. It's not unusual for his frame count to change from 2's to 7's within seconds. The results aren't uneven or choppy, but very child-friendly and careful visualizations of processes.

Check out samples here:
http://www.wdrmaus.de/lachgeschichten/mausspots/?lang=de

you also know that at least in traditional animation that 24 fps is really 12 drawings shot twice.

That's actually an excellent point and it fits very nicely with Jabberwocky's observation on changing frame rates to fit the action. Starting at 24fps (or 30 for video), you can still double up (or triple or quadrupel, etc) frames, and then where an action needs clarifying you can use all 24 fps. Starting at 12 or 15 you've already limited your choices.

Producing solidily ok animation since 2001.
www.galaxy12.com

Now with more doodling!
www.galaxy12.com/latenight