Search form

Help with a copyright!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Help with a copyright!

If you have a copyright on a cartoon idea, and you send your idea into a studio or network with their submission form, how can you protect yourself if the studio were to use your idea. How can you keep track to see that your idea is not used or tweaked in such a way where the studio can use your idea, and say it was their idea from the start.

My understanding of a studio or network submission form is that the form is actually supposed to protect them from you. The theory is that they get so many submissions, that there are bound to be similarities in people's ideas. The trick is to have some aspect of that general idea that is completely unique and original to your idea.

This is true even in my own experiences. I had an idea about an animated reality show that I thought was fresh and original, then I find out that Comedy Central already has a show in production that is similar to my idea. :eek:

Just be sure to read the submission form carefully, and if you feel comfortable with it then go ahead and send it in. You should also research the company before you send your work to them. If the company is reputable, they should be willing to answer any questions that you have about their submission process. And if they're not, then maybe they're not on the up and up. I saw a posting for a company once that was soliciting ideas for a sci-fi themed show. I had an idea in the pipeline that I thought fit their criteria. I e-mailed them a few questions before I sent them my idea, and I never got a response back. I didn't feel comfortable with their lack of communication, so I didn't send in my idea.

The way I figure it, you could not submit your work and keep the idea to yourself (which is already happening), or you can take a chance and send in your idea with the possibility of it becoming a hit show! :p This is something that I had to struggle with myself. But if I want the studios to develop my idea, then I realized that I have to send it to them. Besides, if the studios like your idea, then they typically also want the person who created it. They figure that the creator is the person who best knows the show and who will work the hardest to make the show a success, so why not have them on board?

Hope this helps.

Sharvonique

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery

thanks

Thanks for the help, but I was also wondering is there was anyway that you can keep track of the idea. What I am wondering is if they say no can I follow up to make sure that they do not use it later on.

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I think that they destroy your submission if they don't use your idea as a means of protecting themselves, but I don't know if there's a way to actually followup and ensure that they wouldn't use your idea later on.

You can contact the studio's or network's development department and ask them about their policy regarding declined material. No matter what, they should definitely contact you (usually in the form of a written letter) to let you know that they will not use your material. Other than that, the only way that I can think of to protect yourself is to keep copies of everything you send, and to document who you've submitted something to and when. That way, you'll have some sort of proof to your claim if you later see your EXACT idea being broadcast somewhere.

Sharvonique Studios
www.sharvonique.com

Animated By Sharvonique Blog
http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.com

AWN Showcase Gallery