Search form

Toon Boom Studio or The Tab

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Toon Boom Studio or The Tab

I'm new to 2d animation and I'm not sure which animation software to choose to create my first animation. I would like to choose a software package that can be used for presentation on both the web and on DVD. I was wondering if anyone had a positive or negative experience with either of these software packages. Thank you.

I'm curious about this as well. I'm considering both packages at the moment and would love to read a comparison between the two programs. Any links to reviews on both?

Thanks!

Visit The PC Weenies Cartoon
"Tech Toons for the rest of us!"

Not sure bout ToonBoom....

Hi,

I can be a useful advisor of advice about the TAB program. I have used it and love it to death, in some respects it has it's downfalls, but hey, which program doesn't. Ya but the camera I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE it's extremly easy to learn how to use, and it's an actual camera not just a enlargment of ur backgrounds, characters, etc. Um also, in that program you are the EVERYTHING! I mean you are supplied with like 4 rooms to all of your work in. Again I'm all too sure if you get that in toonboom, but it's worth the money, the TAB program. So if that inclines you to make your final decision I'm am sure glad to help anyone out that has an interest in animation. Tell the forums in end what you end up buying and how your animation goes..THnx.

-HannaBarberaGuy-

I don't know a thing about the Tab, though it seems like I may have downloaded a demo at work. Never got to use it much-- they sorta expect me to teach when I'm there instead of doing my own thing.

I have been using Toon Boom since November of last year. I like it quite a bit in many ways. It is versatile, affordable, allows me to set up my own screen size and frame rate, does output to .swf or quicktime so I can use the same stuff for the web and for output to tape.

Although you can (and I do) use bitmap elements, it is primarily a vector based program. That means if you want to do your animation traditionally on paper (as i do) you have a couple of ways to get your drawings in. If you scan your roughs, you can use as stylus and the pencil tool to trace, getting nice clean lines as thick as you set them to be. I find it easier and faster to scan and import/vectorize the images. this tends not to be very nice to your pencil work until you work out a scanning system and import settings that work.

It does, in fact, have a camera, which you can peg and move around, and it can be set to be dynamic, which means you can change the lens settins or even zoom the camera rather than truck in (which I mostly use).

Finally, you can set up your 2D elements in what they call 3D space. It's sort of like setting up a bunch of paper dolls on top of a table and shooting them with your camera always pointed at a 90 degree angle to the picture plane. This can be helpful, but it takes some getting used to with more complex animations.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Toon Boom, though if I had the bucks I'd be using Flipbook or maybe CTP by Crater (I'm giving it a trial right now).

Hope that helps.

Cartoon Thunder
There's a little biker in all of us...

I'm new to 2d animation and I'm not sure which animation software to choose to create my first animation. I would like to choose a software package that can be used for presentation on both the web and on DVD. I was wondering if anyone had a positive or negative experience with either of these software packages. Thank you.

I have read two positive reviews in this thread, one for Toon Boom Studio 2.5, and one for The TAB 2.2.

Has anyone used both animation software packages who can compare and contrast some features? Or has anyone seen a side-by-side product comparison elsewhere on the web?

Thanks,

William

This is a rather belated reply as I have only just joined the forum. I reckon the best kept secret in animation is Moho . It's a tiny program with a full tutorial, costs very little and has features which are unique in 2D vector progs. You can download a demo version of version 4.6 at

http://www.lostmarble.com

The demo is totally unrestricted except for a watermark printed on all output.

Version 5 is at Beta 4 stage and if you go to the forum pages you will get a link there to where you can download it. I was sent a full copy of Tab 2.2 Pro for free and didn't even bother to register it and have since taken it off my PC. It has some interesting features, but in my opinion, Moho knocks it into a cocked hat. Just to whet your appetite - Moho can load 3D .obj files, has inverse kinematics plus particles. Best of all, the new version has a freeware scripting language for users to write new features with. I promise you won't be disappointed.