Search form

voice acting

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
voice acting

Hello to who ever reads this message,

I have just graduated from high school and is looking for some good advise. I want to become an voice actor for dubbing animation, but :confused: I am not too sure if this career is fit for me. I would like to know is there are good suggestions to find out if I have the talent and is voice acting fit for me.

I mean in college, students in their freshmen year are allowed to try out in this particular field and could give up when they realize the career isn't fit for them. I am really want to become an voice actor, but don't know if I have the talent and is this the best job for me. I just don't want to waste too much time figuring out if I could become a voice actor, when I could be using that valuable time to become an designer or journalist.

Thanks for replying your advise.

I am a voice actor among other things (www.geoffedwards.ca/about.html) I have a couple of suggestions for anyone wanting to enter the voice acting field. Write some scripts - a just a few sentences for character voices that you do. You should have about ten or twelve different characters and record them for a demo it should be a minute to a minute and a half long. (of course if you get work you will need to come up with more voices to suit specific jobs). Then find someone who is either hiring voice actors or is representing them as an agent and ask them to offer suggestions. Through this process you will quickly find if voice acting is right for you. My voice demo is online at www.geoffedwards.ca/voiceovers.html in case you want to hear an example.

Good luck!

Geoff
www.geoffedwards.ca
"The dog is Cerberus, the girl Zoe, I'm Dirge"

It doesn't start with "voice" necessarily...

"Ahhhh, excellent question, Grasshopper. You are wise to take this approach to your career path."

Too often people forget that the primary component of voice acting is acting.

Before you embark on a career in voice acting it would probably be a good idea to see if you can, in fact, act. There are many resources for this in college. Take a basic acting class from the theatre department. See how you like it. Sure, a vast majority of that class will focus on stage-acting and the elements involved, but you will get some scene work to do as well. If you can convey emotion, conviction, and believability on stage, then you're off to a good start.

The disadvantage of voice acting -vs- stage acting is that you have to (in most cases) rely on your voice to sell a picture you haven't even seen yet, or if you're not voice acting for animation, rely on your voice to create a picture for the audience. This involves creating the sound of whatever your character is doing. If he's lifting weights you have to be able to convey that with your voice. If he's just come in from jogging three miles, you have to be able to portray that. Not to mention joy, sorrow, anger, hatred, contempt, and the endless gamut of emotions we each of us carry inside.

But I'll tell you this: it's a fun thing to do. And when you "see" your voice coming out of a cartoon, it's pretty cool.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

ab

abvox: Voice and Sound Design Services
abVoices.com

yes i though of getting into voice acting. couldnt manage alot of voices though.

Help?

I've wanted to get into voice acting, but I don't know who to contact.
If any of the big guys are reading this, I need to start somewhere, please don't ignore this.

why dont you work on a demo recording.

write up a script with as many diferent voices as you can come up with.

thentry a couple recordings and see how it comes out

I have done that, not quite that many voices, but I still don't know who I can talk to about it, to get into the business in the first place.

I'll bet Maurice LaMarche will take Vincent Price's place to play Ratigan in the sequel.

I'll bet Maurice LaMarche will take Vincent Price's place to play Ratigan in the sequel.

Hello? Has anyone listening?

Puzzled look on face, his pacing stilted and awkward:

"Yes,

I was listening...

Er, ah huh..."

Geoff
www.geoffedwards.ca
"The dog is Cerberus, the girl Zoe, I'm Dirge"

Auditioning

You can also start by going to http://voice123.com joining for free and you will learn how the business moves.

Too intimidated?!?

Hi guys. I have a problem. I know that I'm pretty good, and more than capable of being a voice actor. I'm not perfect with any specific voices, but I can do a passable version for a bunch of recognizable characters (Spongebob, Patrick, Mr Crab, and Squidward; Stitch from Lilo and Stitch, the Schmoo, Cheech (as in Cheech and chong), Fat Albert, Yoda, Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Grover...I could go on and on if I thought about it. Sometimes I have to prepare myself first and can't just throw them off instantly. Sometimes I have to hear a voice again before I can get it back down, especially if it's been years since I did it.

I can also do plenty of accents and generic voices, including several different british accents (classy, cockney, liverpool, etc.) aussie, indian, asian, hispanic, southern (Georgia, Tennessee), Southern (Texas), northern, Maine, Bostonian, New Yorker, Canadian, Wisconsiner, rocker, old guy, woman, kid, vallery girl, etc...

My problem is that I'm too intimidated to try to start. I know that's sad for a 38 year old man, but there it is...

Do I just need prozac, or does anyone have any better suggestions for getting past this? I've only ever gone for one single audition (around 8 years ago, just after I left the FSU Film School). I went for a british accent and it came off so poorly that I know they were laughing their asses off after I left; I would have been, so I wouldn't blame them!

Any suggestions of how to get past this carreer killing problem would be greatly appreciated. With my personality, I know I'd be fine once I got going and got my confidence up, but I can't get past the problem that keeps me from getting started. I would so love to do this, whether it was major characters like Stitch or small background characters in Yu-Gi-Oh! or some other weekly show. I would have a blast and have something to be proud of if I could just get going.

I shy away from competition. I don't like to be judged or compared to others, so if I audition, I'll probably WAY underperform because being "judged" makes me uncomfortable.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave Andrews :(

dandrews--

In order to be able to do something, you have to put your Nikes on and "Just Do It." At this point, generally speaking, there are many opportunities out there for people who have decent recording studios at home. Opportunities that allow you to record from home, behind a locked door with nobody watching. But in order to do the "Spongbob's" or the "Lilo & Stitch's" you have to be able to stand behind a microphone in a booth while half a dozen or more people watch, listen, walk in and out of the booth, make suggestions, laugh, smile, roll their eyes, and any number of other potentially distracting things.

Realistically, of course, (and I was just thinking about this a night or two ago) to do the mainstream feature-length cartoon features, you have to be an established Hollywood B-List or better actor. It also helps to be geographically convenient to either LA or NYC. It's a rare thing that an entire theatrically released animated film will feature principal characters voiced by anyone but known actors. Voice actors are relegated to the lesser characters more and more. Jim Cummings, for example, is an outstanding voice actor: He does Pooh, Tigger, and any number of other characters you've heard. He was "Steele" in the movie "Balto" with Kevin Bacon, Bridgete Fonda, Phil Collins, and Bob Hoskins. Notice, though who he acted with. That's a rare example of a voice actor who got a primary part in a mainstream film.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to practice, practice, practice, and find the confidence within yourself. Competition is a very real part of this game. Don't shy away from it: rise to it. Embrace it. Meet it head on. If you believe that you can do it...REALLY believe...you CAN do it. If your greatest obstacle is self confidence, then once you overcome that, you'll be just fine.

Good luck.

ab

abvox: Voice and Sound Design Services
abVoices.com

Want a chance to do some voices

Hey If you guys want to do a little voice acting on an amateur scale just checkout my post in the Co-op forum. I posted something up there about my student film and am looking for people to do voices for my animations, have a look if you want, read the first post though.

Demo

Hey, How exactly do I get a demo on computer, what do I need?