Search form

question about 2-D animation for a movie

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
question about 2-D animation for a movie

Hello everyone,

I'm finishing up a no/low budget DV movie in the Cleveland, Ohio area. A couple of my actors have moved away and coordinating shooting (nights and/or weekends) is been almost impossible. I was pondering the idea of shooting some of the scenes as a cartoon.

Questions:

1. I have about 16 minutes of movie that could be a cartoon. Is that plausible financially and how long would that take?

2. Do you know of any animators that might interested in taking on something like this (I can scrounge up some $$$).

3. It can be a basic cartoon style nothing fancy at all.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

16 minutes of animation is about double the length of a traditional short feature ( 7 minutes) and about 6 minutes short of a TV 1/2 hour ( 22 minutes).

If you go with film( as opposed to video) you'd run it at 24 frames per second.
24 farmes/second x 60 seconds/minute then x 16 minutes gives you = 23040 frames.
(video runs at 30 frames per second)

Because most film animation is handled as "footage", there's 16 frames per foot of film. In this case, your film would have 1440 feet of animation within it.

Usually having the animation done ( which involves layouts and camera guides, plus the animation itself, PLUS the inbetweening of said animation) can be expensive--$100 a foot for all the above is considered not unreasonable--you'd have to fork over $144,000 to get the work done to a pro standard.
Even if you went with a measly $10 a foot , its still be $14,400--which I'm guessing is still making your jaw drop, right?

Given that the average animator can do about 10 feet of decent animation a week it'll take, at best, 144 weeks.........or longer.
16 minutes of animation for one person is.........quite a lot, its not out of the realm of thinking that this much work could take well over 3 years for a lone casually committed person to complete.

Sorry if this pops the bubble on this idea, but you'd probably appreciate someone being straight with you.

--Ken

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Offer for Animation

Hello, We are offering you a rate of $10 per second of 25/fps animation. We have a team of 15 animators and can offer you a turnaround in 1 month. Lets talk. I am available at citytech@citytechcorp.com

Regards,
Rabindra