Search form

Starting an animation studio

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Anything is possibe if you want it bad enough.

History is littered with ordinary men who did extraordinary things only because they followed their dreams.

Walt Disney is one such man. He was an okay cartoonist. That is not what made him successful. It was his belief in his dreams. He was persistant and his belief was infectous. He believed in his own dreams so much, that it made others around him believe in his dreams too.

If you want your studio bad enough, don't give up. Walt didn't have any experience either. :D

Industry Data

Guys,

I am keen on starting a studio as well. Is there a resource out there for industry data? The bank is asking me to write a "Business Plan". I have no idea how to go about it. :o

Jerry

Hi

Hello guys,

I am looking to start an animation studio with a friend of mine. Wanted to know what is the best way to go about it. We both have no training in animation though both of us write comics and have worked in the film industry. Any advice would be appreciated.

We are one animation service company, and we want to expand our company better and bigger, so we way collaborate together something like joint venture company? Is this an interesting idea to you?
We could talk about that: amazinganimation@163.net I am Michael

Study animation history and learn as much as you can about the studios of the past, and how they rose and fell throughout the years. Analyze events like the Disney strike and the closing of Warner Brothers, why they happened, and how they worked their way out of it.

The more you know about the triumphs and pitfalls of the past, the easier it will be to avoid some needless disasters.

-Ken Priebe

If you have no training or direct experience in animation, then I strongly reccomend getting some.
There are small things that can sack your efforts if you make the wrong judgement call, and there's jobs/tasks that you'll be called upon/expected to know and if you are not intimate with the whole production process then it'll affect your business.

I used to own a studio, for only a couple of years before I bailed out, and it was a complex endeavour.
I learned it wasn't my cup of tea and going back to being a contractor or employee of another shop served my needs better.

To be successful at it, you really need to know your stuff--if not you are in for some bumps.

--Ken

"We all grow older, we do not have to grow up"--Archie Goodwin ( 1937-1998)

Hello guys,

I am looking to start an animation studio with a friend of mine. Wanted to know what is the best way to go about it. We both have no training in animation though both of us write comics and have worked in the film industry. Any advice would be appreciated.

You can start the business with a team of experts who need to be your core strength as suggested by Wade K.

Marketing edge either with your own contacts or through the experienced team that you may hire alone can make the difference.

A finance plan prepared with the marketing forcast is essential.

The project is really a complex one but rewarding also if approched in a planned manner.

The guys who are creative are having a flair for freedom. You need to form a team that is free and confirming to the business sense in each and every one of the seconds you spent.

N.K.Muthu

Two apologies

Hey gang,

It's been a little while since I visited here. I wanted to see if my post was any help and from the hits on this site and my book website,

http://www.spectra-nyc.co

I see there was some interest. However, I have a few apologies (one serious and one satirical - yes, bird16, I have a sense of humor) (however, I'll let you all decide which apology is humorous and which serious)

First, I told you all that the above website had excerpts from my book, "Digital Animation Bible: Creating Professional Animation with 3ds Max, Lightwave, and Maya." In fact, the site does NOT have excerpts. It was SUPPOSED to have, but, s**t, I never got around to it. So my apologies. I DID however, post extensive excerpts from my first book, "Desktop Video Studio Bible : Producing Video, DVD, and Websites for Profit," which has significant information for setting up and organizing both the technology and business aspects (more important than tech) for ANY kind of studio, so if you are a tightwad (I am - I save the shampoos from the hotels I visit and mix them in one big bottle at home - THAT's a tightwad!).

So the first apology is sort of a half apology (you can read excerpts about setting up a studio, but not an ANIMATION studio per se) and like the Jews say, if you apologize do three things: 1. Apologize sincerely, 2., Acknowledge the loss of those you wronged and 3. Do the right thing and fix it so you never do the same thing again. So today, I am going to send some excerpts form the animation book to my webmaster and have him get those up on the site for all of you.

The second apology is for my avatar. This avatar was originall installed as my identity on Ferrarichat.com (a popular site for Ferrari restorers, of which I am one - hey, the animation business is good). You are welcome to visit and have fun there too. Hey, you never know.

Anyway, I got a lot of positive response from around the world on this avatar, but I didn't realize that it was all from men (since the Ferrari site has few women). I didn't realize that at AWN, this avatar might offend some of the women. Even though some of the best car mechanics and restorers I know are women (and if you think that's a BS line, at least believe I WISH there were all women - it would certainly make getting my car fixed more fun), this avatar might be perceived as being, what's the word for it? Sexist? Yeah, that's the ticket. Sexist.

Welll, my aologies to all for any offense my avatar caused. I will soon replace it, but don't hold your breath (not pun intended regarding the nature of the avatar's lungs), because I'm loaded with work and already burdened with getting those excerpts onto www.spectra-nyc.com.

And now a final word. In a day or so I will be signing contract for my third book, this one specifically on getting a business started using Softimage XSI, which I have discovered is really the bomb.

Come e-visit me, write me (george@avekta.com), or go buy a Ferrari and get out of here - I love ya all.

Quaz

Hey Quasimotor,

Don't edit yourself because of my opinion. And I hate to break this to you, but Women LIKE looking at other (beautiful)women, we DON'T LIKE seeing them turned into OBJECTS(which is what you did).

Regarding your avatar, I was simply asking for equal time, my friend.

And, ah...WELCOME BACK!

Bird

Quasimotor,
half-sceptical, half-interested - what's the angle on software-based how-to-business books?

You say "specifically on getting a business started using Softimage XSI" (and yes, its a great software package) which strikes me as being odd. I mean, I rejoice that after a decade of software loyalism, the industry is maturing into a software-is-toolset mentality.
Wouldn't it be more on the mark to make a single business how-to and an overview of which software fits which shot requirements best? (Of course, this would have to be up-dated every month.) Or how to approach the pipeline-issues at all? Team-building based on software knowledge and project specifics?

David

Same here man but I have

Same here man but I have about 7 employese and I have to pay them. One have an outside pay source to pay your crew, 2 get a good animation program, 3 get a story writer, and 4 get mikes with voice actors. I have all of the following and if you would like to get a channel on YouTube where you can post your content. This then should draw an audience for you  and can set you off as well as collaborating with other studios if you can. There's some advice for you.

Wyatt Fish | Coreway Films