Search form

2D or 3D training?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
2D or 3D training?

Hi all,
I am thinking of doing a postgrad qualification in animation and was wondering what people thought would be better to study to get better animations? I know that a lot of 2d peeps knock 3d and visa versa so I was just wondering what the bias for training was. Do employers prefer 2d training to 3d, even if its for a 3d job? I'm really intrested in breaking into the industry so any advice would be greatly appriciated!
Thanks! :)

I couldn't tell you what employers are looking for, but I can say this. I'm on my second Term in Classical 2d animation and already I feel strongly that a 2d background is essential to animation. I hear that 3d training doesn't cover basic animation prinsobles nearly as much as they should. Probly because so much time is needed to learn the various software programs. So my vote is for 2d training.

Don't Know and have not opinion - Jet
I'm only watching a dream I've never awoken from -Spike

Here's the other side of the coin.

A good 3D school is going to give you the animation and technical skills you need but you need to do your homework and find out which schools are good and which are bad. I think the days of 3D students being seen as only tech savvy and having no animation skills are gone.

Most of the larger production houses are looking for 3D animators at this time. Granted if you have years of production experience in 2D they would take the risk on hiring you and teaching you 3D.

But if you are just out of school and you are up against a 3D animation student with the same animation skill level the employer is most likely going to go for the 3D student because there is less training involved and that person can placed into the pipeline much faster plus there is very little risk of the new employee not adjusting to the new environment (3D).

ed

Department of Computer Animation
Ringling College of Art and Design
Sarasota Florida