Search form

United Airlines Commercials

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
United Airlines Commercials

Has anyone seen those animated commercials for United Airlines (I believe the first one ran during the Oscars, directed by Wendy Tilby), and they have Gershwin's 'Rhapsody in Blue'? I think there are 3 of them so far. I saw the latest one this past week where a guy puts a rose in his briefcase and goes across the country to take it to his mother. They are really neat to look at.

They're done by Acme Filmworks

AWN's president, Ron Diamond, has a production company, Acme Filmworks. They produced those three spots for United.

Dan Sarto is Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.

Ah...I thought maybe it was them. My favorite artist out of that group is Joanna Quinn. (But really, they are all fantastic!):D

who's voice can be heard at the end of the "rose in the briefcase" commercial. i saw it once, and it's driving me crazy! ...

yes! the ACME group is one impressive collection of animation artists.

Joanna Quin is also my favourite
do you know her "Knightstale" from the Canterburry Tales animation project?
talking about top 10's, this one is definately in it
its one of my alltime favourite animated films.

Peter Wassink - Digital 2D Animator

That rose one was done in Russia by Alexander Petrov through Pascal Blaise in Canada.

While the rose might have been animated by Petrov at Pascal Blais, I don't think that was his voice. Hehehe. Guess you mis-read the question.

I've not seen any of these commercials in question. Is there a link in which I can see them on-line?

Cheers

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Jeez. I just looked at Acme's web site, and demo reel. They have some big boys (and girls or course) available to them in order to direct commercials. Michael Dudok de Wit, one of my personal favorites since "the monk and the fish", John K, Peter Chung and Plympton. Unbelievable.

As for Joanna Quinn... I always wondered who did those toilet paper commercials I admired for all this time (the ones with the bears). Great stuff. I did not like a lot of her other stuff highlited in the demo, but that is just me.

I love Acme's artsy styles that they use in their commercials though. Kinda cool to look at.

Cheers

They also have Garry Bardin! That's what I call a dream team!

...do you think they rotoscoped the Rose commercial? Not that it matters, because it's still cool, but I was just wondering.

Petrov does not rotoscope. He is just naturally that good. I saw him doing the Old Man and the Sea years ago, when taking a look around Pascal Blais animation, and the dude was painting the drawings on glass WITH HIS FINGERS. Pretty amazing stuff.

ah so HE'S the guy who did Old Man & the Sea...that won an Oscar right? And wow, that's paint on glass? Awesome. I assume the Rose commercial is done the same way then? That is really cool. I salute the man.:)

check out Petrov in action here: http://www.oldmansea.com/makingof/

( to be honoust he scares me a bit...seeing how he actually does it makes it even more mystical...... how can someone....?)

Peter Wassink - Digital 2D Animator

The voice at the end of the United commercials is Robert Redford

The voice at the end of the United Commercials is Robert Redford.(!)

I heard Sean Connery doing a commercial the other day; for some type of communications corporation; as well as Patrick Stewart for a pharmacy product...man, these ol' geezards sure are desparate...

nah. desperation doesn't have anything to do with it. Lots of really really big name stars do commercials because it PAYS. Haven't you seen "Lost in Translation"? That stuff really happens. I know Brad Pitt does commercials in Japan for tinned fish or something like that.

Oh and if you like the "Oil on glass" style you should check out "The Street" by...oh...oh man...I completely forgot the name of that lady and now I feel stupid.

curse my human brain.

Ender

all the commercials celebs do in japan...

http://japander.com/japander/index.htm

is Petrov's film out on DVD?...i seem to be having trouble finding it :(

the trailer made me drool :p