Search form

The Making of an Animated Short

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Making of an Animated Short

Hi, first-timer here. For the last few years I've written and drawn a webcomic. After some thought, I want to know what would be involved in making a 4-8 minute animated short? What type of people would I need and what types of costs would I expect to pay for each?

Right off the bat, I want to stick to 2D animation so I imagine that I'd need a storyboard artist, along with a background artist and several people to do animation. (or will one animator suffice for such a short film?). Voice actors are a must and background music falls under the "would be nice to have depending on the cost" heading.

I know very little about the animation field (and nothing about the computer technology for animation, currently being used), but I'm looking for a small studio that can give me some price estimates so that I can throw a budget together.

Thanks in advance!

Rampart's picture
________________________________ - Glenn Csonka

Hi, welcome aboard!

If you're more willing to hire a studio to do some work, I think it would be nice if you also posted some material about the movie, like the storyline, some ideas for designs, etc, so it's easier to make an estimate budget.

I guess that would be a good idea.

The comic is called "Animal Force". It's about a group of freedom fighter animals fighting the bad guys. It's an action/aventure/comedy comic geared towards 7-13 year olds. It's sort of like G.I. Joe meets Loony Tunes. I haven't put any story in stone yet until I get some idea about the costs.

Here's a few sequential pages from the last book:

http://home.comcast.net/~rampart66/nine.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~rampart66/page7.jpg

Depending on the type of pricing, I'm open to going with a 30 second "intro" type movie with no voices and just music.

Hope that helps.

you would only need 1 animator and 1 month to make that

providing you have the audio done

and i assume you would be doing the backgrounds

www.EvilAsSin.com
for more movies and downloads

the fastest polygon in the west!

YEEEEEHHHHAAAAA!

The audio can be outsourced, but I'll probably need someone to do backgrounds (unless, that get's really expensive, then I can do some digital painting in Photoshop).