Search form

CyberCyst: Peter Pan

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
CyberCyst: Peter Pan

I remember when you posted the link to the trailer for this film. I just saw it on DVD, was wondering what you thought about the finished film. I don't want to say anything until I read what you thought of it. I didn't get to see it in the theatre, so I had to wait for VHS, DVD release.

Pat

phacker's picture
Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

naw, I haven't seen that movie yet...though I have to admit that Jason Isaacs looks pretty cool as Captain Hook. I always liked Bob Hoskins as Smee in 1991's 'Hook.' But Robin Williams as Pan and Juila Roberts as Tink?....naaah.

They're claiming that this 'Peter Pan' movie is more true to the Barrie book than the other versions...so how did they do, Phacker?;) I have always been a fan of the book.

I am a reader, so I also am a fan of J. M. M. Barrie. It was good, but Spielberg's "Hook" was more entertaining in the long run.

Honestly though I watched it at someone else's home so, maybe if I could see it by myself I might appreciate it more.

Hook was good, as was the actor that played Peter. And some of the scenes and effects were fantastic, but one of the things that bothered me and may have been the tv set I was watching it on, was they seemed to rely a lot on filtering colorwize to achieve mood and effect, and sometimes the shift was a bit too abrupt.

Also some of the fairy dust special effects...all I could think of was oh they used a particle generator...but that's probably just me. I was thinking maybe more of a blur effect might have lended more mystery. But like I say it's worth seeing, and I'll probably see it again, maybe the next time by myself so I can get more in the mood.

Butting In ...

I saw the movie not too long ago, but in a theatre, and posted the following review at another board. Since I wrote it only a few hours after having seen it, I repeat it here because my opinion in it is a lot fresher than what I could give you know. (It's a positive review but keep in mind that I adore the book ardently! Some spoilers.)

[i]First things first - I'm reasonably sure the German version got cut a little. I didn't see how Hook wounded Peter during their fight in the cave as was told in the book and several stabbings, shootings and devourings seemed a little skimmed. (In case the German DVD has 100 minutes playing time like the movie I saw, I'm getting a British DVD.)
As for the movie itself - well, since Lord Of The Rings, I've more or less gotten used to changes in the storyline and I've even learnt to tolerate them to an extend. And rest assured, the changes in Peter Pan weren't nearly as 'creative' as those in, say, The Two Towers. Of course, it wasn't exactly the Peter Pan from the books. A couple of passages got merged and some scenes were added to help the general flow. In terms of themes and plot elements, the movie version takes several liberties which all pay off more or less well.
When I first saw Hook fly, I was a little outraged because it was clearly out of character and ran counter to the spirit of the book. They saved that bit from becoming sacrilege rather nicely by using it to orchestrate Hook's demise, though. And while Tinkerbell's resurrection was one of the nicest sequences in the movie, I'd have preferred them to work out her likeable characteristics a bit more. Speaking of characters - where was Tootles? Sure, he was in the movie but there was a lot more to his character in the book. Same goes, to a lesser extend, for the rest of the Lost Boys - the kids did a nice job but their writing needed improvement.
Other than that, several images and subtle details from the original were blown out of proportion and shallow-fied Hollywood-style like Mrs. Darling's hidden kiss. This was to be expected, of course.
The visuals were satisfactory (with the exception of a couple of gumby CG-shots and choppy blue screen montages) - the Jolly Roger sailing over the rooftops of London was extremely impressive on a large screen.

Final verdict: I'm pleased until the next, even better adaptation of Peter Pan gets released. And that 'better' adaptation should be longer, focus more on the main themes of the book and add a little more character to some of the players. Other than that, it was about time a decent live action flick of Peter Pan got shot.[/i]

And to add to the Hook-discussion: while that movie felt a lot more American and less dream-like, I'd say Hoffman takes the cake as far as portraying Hook is concerned. Isaacs did very, very well in my opinion, though, but he was just a little too young for the role.