Search form

How do animators draw any cartoon character that doesn't exist?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
How do animators draw any cartoon character that doesn't exist?

What I mean is, ex. Fred Flinstone.
How did animators learn to draw Fred or how do they draw any cartoon character that doesn't exist?
(Do they look at another cartoon character as an example on a piece of paper or think up a character in their minds?)
I'm a female computer/network techie by trade but can draw some things.
I can draw Dexter, Angelica, Arnold, etc.
The only way I can draw these characters is to have a picture of them on a piece of paper next to me.
Do most animators draw from thinking about it or do they have a picture of what they want on a piece of paper?
I'm just frustrated because I'm trying to come up with a short animated piece.

Here is another example, I have a piece in mind that will have celebrities faces but cartoon bodies.
I'm having trouble drawing the clothes.
Is it cheating if I look in one of the three how to draw cartoon books and draw one of those on a piece of paper.
Here I go again.
Ex., I want to use Sylvester Stallone's face with a cartoon body.
I know what kind of outfit I want him to have in my mind but can't draw it just by thinking about it.
So, I decide to look through a how to draw cartoons book and look for mens clothing.
I find what I need and draw my version of the clothing.
Please tell me what percentage of professionals and non-pros do this?
What about this?
How many people use existing clipart in their flash cartoons?
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this is cheating.

Most of those that have been animating for a while come up with their own concepts and have a background in art or graphic design.

I think most of us as children or during the learning process probably copied other's work, but it really isn't very ethical to use someone else creativity and call it your own.

As to using clip art there's nothing illegal or unethical about using it, but it would be hard to have a cohesive style while using elements designed by someone else.

I hope this helps.

Pat Hacker, Visit Scooter's World.

Gotcha.
I didn't mean copy anyone's work just draw your own version but I guess that's considered copying.
I'm curios.
I'm a fan of Arnold and Dexter.
If I decided to do a flash cartoon with Arnold or Dexter, as long as I put copyrighted info from Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network, would I be able to do this?
I guess I will have to look at different photos of cartoon characters and come up with something.

Everytime I start to draw something out of my head, it looks like crap.
I guess what I can also do is get pictures of real life objects and cartoonify them.
By the way, I just ordered "Spirited Away" and "Cartoon Crack Ups" on dvd.
I like the Flinstones and the Jetsons but just could see buying the box sets.
Thanks for responding Phacker.

Once I create my cartoon, I'll let you guys know.
Please be gentle because I am no way an animator.

With the Dexter/Arnold idea unless what you are doing is considered a parody you could still be infringing on copyright. It's a fine line.

I think what you need to do as far as coming up with your own character, is really think about what you are wanting to portray and come up with something fresh that speaks of your own life experience. It's hard in the beginning and a lot of your first attempts won't seem like they are any good...but you'll be learning to stretch and find your own voice.

Try drawing stuff in your life: people, animals, neighbors. Sure they don't stand still but just try to capture the feeling. You'll be surprised the more you do the easier it will get. You have to train the hand to do the bidding of the brain.

Anyone else care to comment?

The whole point of art is to express yourself. If you can express yourself by copying other people's expressions, then go ahead. Some people (like modern artists Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, and Jean-Michel Basquiat) would call it "appropriation" Animators and artists (and every other kind of artist there is) swipes something they admire from somebody every now and then. But most artists find this EXTREMELY unsatisfying. Wouldn't you rather develop something yourself from your own ideas and experiances than take it from someone else?

All of us started out by copying things we like. I have crude drawings my mother kept of Hanna-Barbera's "Ruff and Reddy": probably the first things I ever drew that were recognizable as something other than a bundle of circles and lines. After that, I copied characters out of the Sunday funny papers. "Alley Oop" was another favorite of mine to draw. Later I started copying superhero artists like Carmine Infantino, Gil Kane, and Jack Kirby. But along the way, I always drew things that came out of my own head, as well. That's where the real fun comes from.

If you just need to get a project done, then don't worry overmuch about copying things like bodies and clothes. Faces are entirely different. People have to work very hard to create a good face...so don't steal those. If you just like the feel of a pencil on paper or playing with lines and shapes, then steal away! But if you're trying to CREATE, then you might want to think a little harder about what you're doing.

One more thing: If more than your family and friends will be looking at the end product then it's very important for you to give credit to those who influenced and inspired you. Don't dishonor their work (and yourself) by pretending they don't exist.

Good luck...have fun

Good answers guys... thank you! (And welcome to the Desktop, pcdoctor.)

I think what I would like to ask pcdoctor is...

What exactly is your ultimate objective in all this? As Saxdragon alluded to... do you intend to show it to more than just ‘family and friends’? If this exercise is for personal satisfaction only, then just enjoy the challenge and the fun that simply doing it will bring. In this case all the previous comments are very worthy of consideration.

However, if the challenge here is to create and idea that maybe you can eventually sell as a commercial project, then why not ask someone else to draw the character for you? There is nothing worse than being pitched an idea that has poor design attached to it... it prejudices a positive response. It really does. However, as there are so many competent people out there that would love the chance to design a character (or characters) for you... some even working 'pro bono' (i.e. with reward only when and if you get you project off the ground)… then why not take advantage of that? I would never dream of attempting to do computer techie work if I were trying to get something commercial going, so why beat yourself up over this when someone whose speciality it is could easily help you and probably do a much better job of it in the process?

Again, if this is not a commercial project you are developing then, of course, ignore the above. Drawing and designing is all about a process of observation and exploration. No-one would expect you to be able to pick up a pencil and draw the perfect character immediately. I think it’s an evolving process of YEARS before genuine originality will flow from your pencil or pen. The copying of other people's solutions is not the answer, ultimately. It IS a step on the journey towards finding an answer but it is not the eventual answer in its own right... unless blatant plagiarism is your goal? Observer, draw, copy, imagine and share your work with others for criticism. (And yes, you need to know what its like to first ‘fail’ before ultimately succeeding!) Gradually you will find that solutions and conclusions to design will become easier. But right now? Don't expect anything more that perhaps succeeding in producing a few accurate copies of other people's designs. Like everything else worth achieving, it will take you time and a lot of tenacious hard work to make any significant progress at all.

Hope this helps?

Tony. :^{)}=-

Personal Blogsite:
http://blog.animaticus.com

"The Animaticus Foundation"
http://www.animaticus.com

Just want to create cartoon for fun.
I just enjoy seeing funny flash cartoons and just thought it would be neat to create something on my own.
I'm still brain storming but will eventually come up with something.
I enjoy the Star Wars parody by (the guy that frequents this forum).
(Can't remember his name).

scribble test

try this yourself.

put three random lines onna chunk of blank paper...

OR a second's worth of gentl scribbling.

build a face outta the results.

viola.

past

Patr44,

Any suggestions on doing women's clothing?

Thanks!

Go to your favorite newstand and take a look at the fashhion magazines. One of them may be a good reference for your drawings. Pay attention on the different textures and thicknesses, and also the transperencies. All that influences on the way the drapery behaves.

PCDoctor, I think the guy you are talking about is BlueHickey. You are right, his animation parody are great.

About the women clothes, there is an excellent book series (I think there is three of this book in the series) - The Book Collection is "How To Draw Manga", in that collection you will find the series I'm talking about named "Clothes Encyclopedia" the first volume is about Usual Clothes and how to draw and mix them to create a new dress for instances. The second volume is about Under Clothes. And I forget about the third one.

It's really interesting, clearly explained and the clues gived are for every styles of drawing : from Comics to Animation. Here is the weblink to their website: http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/htbooks.html , but I'm sure you will found them in any book store, even on Amazon.

Excellent day,

Joël :)

another link

Thanks for the info guys!

What is Blue Hickey's "Star Wars" parody website.

If I'm thinking of the same guy, he has a ton of Star Wars cartoons on his website.

I like the one where the Ewoks ride on the cruisers.

YOU TALKIN' BOUT ME??? HaHa! thankfully nothing bad said about me!!:)

Flash Character Packs, Video Tutorials and more: www.CartoonSolutions.com

Women's Clothing ya sure....

Hey PCDOC,

For a part time job, I work at a clothing store and we have women come in all the time,(don't worry it's a clothing store for everyone) but uh ya just get like a magazine if you can, and look for inspirational ideas there. Preferably a women's clothing mag. duh...but you never know what people are thinking, so ya have fun with that short and ya give mucho updates on plz, I am always up at viewing other people's work.

-HannaBarberaGuy-

Well to be honest I think we start with a stereotype...... not necessarily racial or offensive but something that is more or less universally symbolic like the types in the Preston Blair Books. Something that just looking at one thinks they know the character. e.g Dexter: lab coat, glasses, we automatically assume smart kid. Or ask an animator to draw a mean dog and most times they'll draw a bulldog (now how many mean bulldogs I have met? 0! but it's a stereotype. evryone accepts that as a mean dog) Stereotypes as we have learned negatively in real life save alot of explanation of a prejudicial notion can also be a positive for story telling in using that device to save alot of explanation.

Like acting and movement we can learn design by observing people. Their physicalities, posture, dress etc filing that away in our minds.

Then there are design theories that we draw upon: angles against curves, tapering, avioding tangents, twisting, assymetry, exaggeration.

Then there are our personal influences. Flinstones primary designer was a big fan of illustration particularily Russel Patterson. His stuff looked nothing like Patterson's but maybe those art deco angles had something to do with his style. I know personally I have a file in my brain of styles I emulate but when I cartoon for myself they are those influences from my formative years cropping up. The same influences when I was a little kid but of course more refined and structured.

Sometimes ones own "limitations" as an artist can lead to something funny.

These points of course are not absolute or rules and can be broken but they are generally relied upon.

Here is another example, I have a piece in mind that will have celebrities faces but cartoon bodies.
I'm having trouble drawing the clothes.
Is it cheating if I look in one of the three how to draw cartoon books and draw one of those on a piece of paper.
Here I go again.
Ex., I want to use Sylvester Stallone's face with a cartoon body.
I know what kind of outfit I want him to have in my mind but can't draw it just by thinking about it.
So, I decide to look through a how to draw cartoons book and look for mens clothing.
I find what I need and draw my version of the clothing.
Please tell me what percentage of professionals and non-pros do this?
What about this?
How many people use existing clipart in their flash cartoons?
I'm just wondering if anyone thinks this is cheating.

Do what you have to do to get it done. As long as your honest if asked. And as I say to my son nothing wrong with copying if you learn from it. And absolutely nothing's wrong with a reference. Next time i'll bet you'll be able to draw a suit better.

Cheating would be saying you didn't use a reference when you did or you created that clip-art when you didn't.