Search form

Hello...looking for advice here

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello...looking for advice here

Hi everyone, its my first post and I'm in a dilly of a pickle.

My internship is coming to a close and I am preparing for the worst. So far all I've been doing at this animation studio ( which will remain anonymous ) is run endless copies of whatever the production crew needs, and honestly, i havent learned anything.

Maybe part of it is my fault for being super nice to everyone that I didnt have the time to stick my head out and actually get drawings done.

Well, last week, I caught wind of the studio looking for artists and I'm working on one of their drawing tests.

Unfortunately, theyve already hired people and Im 70% done with this test.

The recruiter isnt much of a help because looking back, this person knew all along that there will be openings but never informed me.

I've spoken with the actuall artists there *(finally) and they told me what to fix in my drawings and that I have potential to make it.

I'm starting to lose faith, please give me a good reason to even try to finish this drawing tests. =(

Thanks.

I've spoken with the actuall artists there *(finally) and they told me what to fix in my drawings and that I have potential to make it.

That's your reason right there.

Even if this doesn't pan out, you can still use the test in your portfolio. There will be other jobs, other opportunities. There will also be other rejections and other layoffs. Such is life. Just keep learning and getting better; if you've missed an opportunity this time I'm sure you'll be more focused next time one comes along. And one always does :)

cheers,
~D

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy [i]-Tom Waits
[/i]

go for it!

Chickee, if for no other reason - than just to get it done. Completion is everything in a person's life, and especially in the animation world. Show yourself that no matter what the obstacle (negative thoughts, fears, etc.), you can do it.

That alone is a reward worth working for...best wishes!

Erin ;)
------------------------
The only thing that is truly yours - that no one can take from you - is your attitude. So if you can take care of that, everything else in life becomes easier. ~unknown

Get up! Stand up!
Don't give up the fight!

o/

Hi MatrixChix,

Unfortunately, running copies and doing errands is what an internship is--I did the same thing when I did an internship for a small animation company in L.A. and I got pretty bummed. When a job opening pops up the best you can do is what you have been doing; the drawing tests and asking around; this way people will get to know your face and such, and when they get your drawing test, they will think, "Oh, that's the intern who talked to me the other day...";) . I agree with Dave; if things don't work out, you can always use the drawing test in your future demo reel/portfolio. And you will always have that experience at the studio: talking with people & observing, doing that drawing test...you must have learned a bit from that.

Whatever happens, don't get bummed out! You can put this internship on your resume and move on to brighter horizons. And another good reason to finish the drawing tests: the more you draw, the better you will get. :)

What exactly is a drawing test? What types of tests are given to interns / prospective hires?

Thanks!

Visit The PC Weenies Cartoon
"Tech Toons for the rest of us!"

Yep!

Hello.

I agree with the others= an internship doesn't guarantee anything - except you are in the door. At least you did get feedback.

Most times studios give animation or drawing tests for folks who join a studio, especially in the areas of:

Storyboard
Layout
Character Design
Clean up
Animation (Key, Assistant, In-betweener)
Efx Animation
Color Stylist
B.G Painter

Tests and results may vary - please consultant you animation forum for details. Note: tests may cause dry mouth, heart palpatations, loss of sleep and certain types of disfunction.:D

Thanks.

Thank you everyone.

*sigh* thansk for the positive feedback, i guess ive been bogged down for so long I've forgotten how to be optimistic. By the way, I've only had 2 hours of sleep because I want to do my drawing test, and its not out of necessity, i fell in love with the whole process all over again..

another good thing that came out of this was that I met a really great artist whos been around the field for at least 10 years and he said no matter where anyone looks for animation work, they will make room for you as long as you have something to offer. worrying is a waste of drawing time.

thanks again :)

Hey MatrixChix...looking at your username, are you a fan of the Matrix? If so, you planning on playing Matrix Online when it comes out? They are already forming guilds both for and against the machines; you can find them here. Can't wait!:cool:

Matrix Online

yes, but i only like the 1st Matrix...Reloaded and Revolutions were excessive. I heard about that upcoming game, and i cant wait! :D

yes, but i only like the 1st Matrix...Reloaded and Revolutions were excessive.

agreed--the first was awesome; the second and third were, well, yawn. The special effects were nifty, though. I liked Animatrix, too.

P.S. I am a part of 'The Collective' guild (we are 'for' the Machines), and my name is going to be Nimbus when the game comes out. :D

Everyone is right... an internship guarnatees nothing at all. Companies use interns solely to do the shmuck work that noone else wants to do. Theya re not going to make you design characters or do animation for broadcast, and if they did, they would be crooks. I am very pissed about all the unpaid positions I see on the AWN, which are called "internships", but which I call 'FREE SLAVE LABOUR". People taking on "interns" in orde rot produce their films freely. You should be thankfull that the lace you worked for gave you the real intern responsibilities. Unforytunately, that is what an intern does.

HOWEVER... As Larry said, as an intern, your foot is in the door. You need to use your initiative and FORCE yourself on to them, and SHOW THEM what you can do. You need to see all of the opportunities that come up around you and take advantage of them. The same goes for when you are working and getting paid. Sure, you may be a lowly clean-up artist in the beginning, but you have to watch what is going on around you, keeping your ear to the tracks, if you will. When an opportunity presents itself, you need to jump up and say "hey, I can do that" and give it a shot. If you fail, well, you fail... However, if you succeed, then it was a shot well taken. Don't be afraid to be ASSERTIVE.

We all start somewhere... You just need to take what you learn (I know, in your case it was how a Xerox machine works) and put it to use. Look for the good in it all, and utilize it. I was making copies and opaquing once too (did I just age myself? It has been a LONG TIME since colorization was called opaquing)... However, I saw the opportunities, and did not let them squirt by me.

Cheers

Wade

"Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard" - Paul Simon

Yeah, I only "interned" for a few days at Spumco, and I credit everything I know about inking to those guys. I bugged John K online and told him I wanted to intern at Spumco, and he said to drop my portfolio off at the studio. So I was in their waiting room, trying to get someone to look at my portfolio, when one of the guys who worked there was nice enough to give me some inking lessons and a few of their inking tests for their FLash cartoons. A few months later I was pushed in a corner in their new studio working on Adobe Streamline, editing stuff for their Flash cartoons. It was only for a few days and no one talked to me. After a week I left because I wasn't getting any direction on what I was doing, and no one even cared that I left...it was a really weird predicament. I don't even think they acknowledged my existence.:(

awww.

Spumco, wow, thats neat....but too bad nothing panned out. I think at most of these places you gotta stick your neck out a little bit more, which is what I just started doing...whew! I finally grew some balls , snuck AWAY from the production crew and talked to the artists. It took me awhile, but i got there, now I gotta make this count.

Cyber, have you been on bjork's website? her "I Miss You" video's there to peep at...Spumco style. It oughta cheer you up a bit :)